Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Thumbs Up:   1

Finally getting to change the alternator in my 2003 2.3T

I almost forgot how much fun it was to be bent over the engine compartment... So I got at the alternator in the 03 Aero. It has sat for a month because it's been too cold or there was snow and ice in the driveway. Knowing I would have to get under the car I decided to wait for some melting.
    Today it is 2C and wet out. (Even more fun!)
    From what I recall from rebuilding the other engine It should be a pretty simple job. Should be...
    On my 03 I undid all the motor mounts and jacked the engine up and slid it over an inch or so. (Easy!) The alt and the belt tensioner came out in one!
    Tried that with this car..... Not a chance! I jack the motor or trans. and the whole car goes up! Very unsafe!
    So I went at it a different way. I took the alt off the tensioner by first removing the whole assembly and having it loose down there. Now there was room to work so I then removed the tensioner pulley to get at the to alt bolt. I had the bottom alt bolt out already. Once the alt was off the tensioner bracket I pulled the bracket out and then the alt. It took a bit of convincing but finally came out.
    I've had an oil leak that has been bothering me since my trip to PEI last Aug. I think I found the problem.
    The timing chain tensioner...
    So while everything was apart I removed the tensioner and cleaned it up put new seals in and put it back together.
    (I don't like the way the tensioner is made to have oil go through a tiny hole in it just to keep the tightening mechanism lubed... It's inside the chain area... It's gets oil flung on it anyway... I'm sure that the biggest problem is the oil pressure that builds before it gets through the tiny hole into the thing. It puts too much pressure on the cheap washer gasket thing causing a constant leak.)
    My chain cover had a clean spot on it ware the clean oil was running out of the tensioner and down the cover. See pic.
    I sprayed everything with engine cleaner and gave it a blast with the hose while it's apart. It's a bit cleaner but I gave it another shot and will let it soak over night. Hopefully tomorrow brings the forecast 5C. I'll bast the engine early and get to putting it back together in the after noon. I don't like working on a dirty slippery engine.
    Tomorrow were taking a friend to see how to make maple syrup before I can get to the car. (See pic.)
    The other pic is the handle I tore out of the 04 yesterday...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

0 Not allowed!
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc; 2002 9-5 Aero
    Thumbs Up:   0
    Thanks for confirming my suspicion that the chain tensioner is the source of my oil leak. My '04 is doing exactly the same thing - nice clean trickle down the timing chain cover to the crank where the oil drips on the ground. I just did a top end rebuild and replaced every single gasket and seal - except the two on the tensioner. Replacing the tensioner seal/gasket stopped the leak for you?

0 Not allowed!

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I'll find out in a day or two. It's still apart in the driveway.
    When I took the serpentine belt off I found out it is the long belt. It's in bad shape too. Lots of cracks and since it's been exposed to oil.... And it's been exposed... It's on it's way out. I wiped it off when I took it out and it took 2 shop rags to get the black wet oil and ick off.
    I'll pick up a short belt tomorrow. (If it isn't priced at $200+.) If so I'll order one from the USA. I have a short one on the 04. It came that way.

A note about the tensioner....: If I knew where the oil came from and went in the chain cover and block passages that feeds oil to it I'd maybe drill out the tiny hole that feeds the ratchety thing. At least that should drop the pressure a bit on the big seal. (I think the problem is too much oil pressure on old seals.) I don't think it needs that much lube. Really... When was the last time anyone cleaned and lubed there ratchets...? (I did this for the first time to all my ratchets 3-1/4, 5-3/8, 1-1/2" in the fall..... I was bored! And waiting for parts during the rebuild of my 04 ARC. My bet is that they won't need it (Only one did.) for another 10 years... I have buddies that do it to there SnapOn ratchets once a year... There mechanics.)

0 Not allowed!
    finding41
    Marty Jackson

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I decide to take the day off. We went to the sugar shack with friends. Too much maple syrup... big sugar crash had me napping almost all after noon. Well nought to ruin the repair plans anyway.
    I had a great opportunity to explain HP to my wife after she commented on the strength of the two horses pulling the hay wagons.
    It went kind of like... Yes they are strong. Horse power literally stands for horse power. These wagons are being pulled by 2 HP. Our wagons have 250 HP!
    I haven't shown her the acceleration sweet spot of the wagons yet. Mostly because Squeaky is always with us when I would have an opportunity. She is a very conservative driver and is impressed with the off the line speed of the cars. Little does she know the cars are actually rockets above 80km/h.

0 Not allowed!
    finding41
    Marty Jackson

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I'll start on a good note: I saw flowers and a bee today. That's the first time since Sept....
    I got the new alternator in today. I only had to do it 3 times before I didn't forget something...
    First I put the alt. in the hole, then the bracket. Then I tried to attach them together. That didn't work... So I pulled it all back out and attached the two.
    I didn't tighten the top alt. bolt just so I could get it on the engine a bit easier. So I bolted it on and then noticed I hadn't put the tensioner pulley on... There isn't enough room to get it on with it bolted on.... So it came off again... So I put it on and tightened it and put it back on the engine. Then I remembered I only finger tightened the top alt bolt!.......! (The tensioner pulley has to be off to get to it....!) All off again! Tighten the top alt. bolt, put the pulley on. put it back together for the last time.
    I'm almost there! I have to pick up a new belt tomorrow and I'll finish. Just the belt, big motor mount and battery to go.
    Here are some pictures. Bee, Belt, old alt., car, new alt.
    Note: The car is on jack stands. Don't go under a car if it isn't on stands!

0 Not allowed!
    finding41
    Marty Jackson

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Saw a fuzzy caterpillar today! So some thing is up.
    I also got the short serpentine belt but didn't have time to get it on. It was only $25! I was quite surprised.
    So tomorrow is supposed to be 8C and I will get it put on finally. I'll change the oil while I have it up in the air too.

0 Not allowed!
    finding41
    Marty Jackson

Good luck with replacing the belt my record time is set at 4minutes . Hehe ... Over here in Belgium there are a lot of bees at the moment . Hate them ! TOPIC : that alternator looks sweet
    -Steve

0 Not allowed!
    Using Tapatalk

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Thanks.
    I got it finished today! I works like a charm!
    One thing I noticed: It still had a code when I started it so the engine light and the transmission lights were on. I got the code reader out and t was still the P5660 that was there before.
    I had it idling and thought I'll just clear the code and go for a test drive and give the battery a bit of juice.
    When I cleared the code the engine coughed and almost stalled! Then it ran nice the rest of the test drive...? It is still running nicely after doing a few stops and restarts.
    I noticed that there was a wet spot around the transmission cooing lines and tightened them. The one on the right in the pic was 1/3 of a turn loose!
    I also changed the oil and forgot about the air filter. ( I plan on installing a K&N later in the summer.)
    On my test drive I went out to the lake where I sail and checked for water... It's still hard. Except around the edges, but that's because the level has risen 6' in the last few days. It is a man mad reservoir for flood control after all.
    I also checked out an old boat that is abandoned in the storage area. Since I'm chartering both my Mac 26Ds in the North Channel this year I'll need something for terrorizing the fleet on Wed night race nights.
    It's a Siren 17. Small but can be allot of fun with a big genoa and a spinnaker.

0 Not allowed!
    finding41
    Marty Jackson