Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    900 coupe 1997

High revs - Did it all.

High Saabers!

Car was running fine - drove through a torrential puddle at about 30kph (probably irrelevant) But immediately the revs starting fluctuating and stalling in first. (drove fine in top gears at top speed, but push the clutch and ... stall).

I heard you... vacuum leak... fuel pump relay.... throttle body is dirty... idle air control valve... pcv...

I have removed the throttle body and IAC and cleaned and replaced almost all vacuum hoses, I pulled the hose from FPR and no fuel was present (good), replaced pcv with old one from wreckers.

Having done all this, I disconnected the battery for 30 mins to reset the ECU - then took her for a great old Fang.

Now she no longer surges with the revs... But

At idle the car originates at 1200 then quickly climbs to 1500 ???

I have tried to reset the ECU a few times by my disconnect and Fang method... Any other ideas of why my idle is now sitting at 1500 and how to remedy??????

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    You may have saturated the air filter which in turn wetted the MAF. Clean the MAF (aerosol cleaners are available) and replace the air filter if it looks like it got wet

Saab(s)
    900 coupe 1997
    I immediatley checked the air filter and it was dry, I am aware of the MAP sensor on the side of my throttle body (little black electronic device) Is this also the MAF?

Could these have gotten moisture without the airfilter having gotten wet?

I did spray the electric components with contact spray to rid any moisture.

Thanks for your reply.

Chris

Saab(s)
    900 coupe 1997
    Ohhh - MAF !

Can I spray this with contact spray to rid any moisture??? If the air filter is dry I dont suppose the MAF would be much wet though.

Update ....
    Last edited by chouston; 30 March 2014 at 09:17.

Saab(s)
    900 coupe 1997
    Up date ...

I decided to run the throttle cable infront of the oil filler instead of behind to give a smoother angle, and also to adjust the (stop bracket?) on the throttle body by a few degrees.

The idle has dropped by 400 rpm, now settles at around 1000 - 1050, I can hear the note still fluctuating a bit, and the smell from the tail pipe is a bit (rich?) real fumey smell that wasn't there before. But hey she is doing o.k now.