Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    9-4X 3.0 Premium XWD

New 9-4X Owner, Few Questions

Just got the wife a 9-4X. She wanted a crossover, I wanted something fun to drive, the 9-4X checked all the right boxes. We absolutely LOVE it. We found a 3.0 Premium XWD without navi, with 26k miles on it in great shape. I'm a hand-on kinda guy, so I'm happy to work on it. I'll document everything I do with it as a benefit for the community. I have a few questions about it.

Is there a comprehensive list of TSBs? I saw one for the power steering in here, along with another one. I know they're not covered by the dealer, but I'd like to know about any known issues that I need to plan to take care of.

My wife got in the car this morning and all the radio presets were gone. She thinks it's tied to the memory system (using a different key than the one we used when we got it), but I can't find anything about the car being that sophisticated, so I'm preparing for the worst. Has anyone encountered this?

I noticed there's a vibration in the steering wheel when turning at low speeds. The wife doesn't notice it, but I do. I'm not sure if this is normal or if I need to look into it a bit. If anyone is familiar with any concerns about the power steering system (hence my question about the TSBs above), I'd love information.

Finally, what does everyone use for computer diagnostics? I don't really want to pay the dealer every time something pops up (hopefully rarely), but if I need to get a read of the car, is there software or a device that works well?

Thanks all!

You'll find some info here -- my four major problems with 9-4x bought new with about 70K miles now: 1.) passenger side water leak caused by drain plug coming loose from the plug in the firewall -- I left some picture on a thread that shows my fix. 2.) Rear axle problem that cost $1000 for dealer to repair (discounted pricing) that is also documented in a thread. 3.) Had both rear lights replaced on warranty for water leaks -- one filled up completely. The replacements were better but still get some moisture inside as does the light going across the rear door. 4.) Rattle in the front passenger side of the headliner -- started when new and never fully addressed (still rattles) -- also developing other rattles in dash. I think the headliner could be repaired by removing and glueing some of the parts down -- it's one of those things I don't want to tear into too deep and make it worse . . . maybe this summer.

I don't like the pricing SAAB Parts as put on replacement items, but have been able to get everything I need. The SAAB 9-4x works with the TECH2 tool, but I don't have one -- my brother has one and said it was listed . . . just have not had any reason to check. Probably will change the spark plugs sometime fairly soon. I've just done oil changes and bought new tires at 60K -- like the Yokohamas much better than OEM Michellins -- doesn't hydroplane nearly as badly. Cadillac SRX forums can be useful for problems too.

Saab(s)
    9-4X 3.0 Premium XWD
    Great, thanks for posting up! Sounds like you've had a rather uneventful ownership experience for 60k miles of driving! That's good news.

We discovered the preset issue was user error, so that solved itself, and it seems like the steering wheel vibration is also going away. Our car sat for a while, so that might explain it being grumpy.

The only outstanding issue we have now is the LED strip int he right rear corner light seems to be out at night. There's a thread here that documents it as a very common problem, but most people just replace them. While it's a solution, I wonder what will keep them from going out again? I found a defective one on eBay for $75, I might pick it up to take it apart and see if I can't fix it. So far, there's no moisture or evidence of it in our tail lights. Hopefully they stay that way.

Good note on the Tech II. It's unfortunate that they're so expensive. I might try out a cheap OBD bluetooth reader from amazon coupled with the TQ App on my phone if any issues arise. So far so good though, my wife is in love with her 9-4X, and I sort of want to find an Aero for myself.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo
    I got my 9-4x new, and now have 44K miles on it.

Of the items Joel H has posted, I had #1 & #4. For his #2, I'd have to look up and see if its the same as I had (see my comments in -> http://saabworld.net/f141/saab-9-4x-...67044-a-27498/ )

I also had to replace a bearing in the front driver side. I noticed a loud noise while driving home from a trip that changed pitch with the speed, even when in neutral.

As for moisture in the lights, I've had that too, but not to the point where they fill up and fail. Just condensation here and there so far. I never did anything about it.

My rotors have warped around 10-12K miles, so there has been the flutter in the pedal since. Due to the warranty status, I never got this addressed. The local "dealer" (not the one I got my 9-4x from) had told me due to the cost, it wasn't worth replacing them yet, they still work if I can stand the flutter. They've checked them every oil change (about every 5K miles). This last change they said its time to start thinking about replacement.

One last "issue" was the crushed tube that supplies the washer fluid to the rear window washer. Somewhere in the head liner or rear hatch the tube was pinched/crushed so fluid wasn't getting to the washer squinter. It took two trips to rectify.

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium, 2010 9-5 Aero, 2008 TurboX SC
    Are we sure about Tech 2? My SAAB Service Center used MIDI (?) to program fog lights that I added after the fact, and not Tech 2.

My issues in 41K miles are:
    1. Water leak into passenger front wheel well -- fixed, 3 hours labor
    2. Back left turn signal LED does not work at night; it works at dusk and dawn though. I have a new one to install, but have not yet.
    3. Front bumper pops out on drivers side a little when driving high speeds. I just pop it back in.
    4. AC tends not to work when really really hot. Apparently a known issue, and fixable. I have a SAAB Secure warranty that will cover this, but it hasn't been really, really hot for some time. Needs to be in 90s or so for it to malfunction. Works great in the 80s.

We really enjoy our unique CUV and plan to keep it for some time!

The MDI is a GM tool that replaced the tech2 and can emulate a tech2. so likely both will work.

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium, 2010 9-5 Aero, 2008 TurboX SC
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgtx View Post
    The MDI is a GM tool that replaced the tech2 and can emulate a tech2. so likely both will work.
    If anyone has success with that, let me know. My local Official Saab Service Center said Tech 2 would not work with 9-4x...only MDI. Not that I will go back and pick a fight...

to be clear, i was assuming that the person above used a tech2, so then an MDI would work as well. if the tech2 does;t work then, yes a mdi is needed. according to this site, the SRX was MDI.

OEM TOOLS