Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    There is something about knowing the the owner of the site, is in it because he see's and reaps the benefits of using the forum. I'm not saying, getting some cash from the adverts, I'm saying that the owner uses the site for what it is. That way, the owner will see the problems, and want it run just like any other member. That's why there isn't another site out there (for Saabs at least) that is run the way Wulf does it. He does it because he likes Saabs, and likes helping other people. For Wulf's hard work, I'll forever be great-full. Thanks Wulf, you-da man!

And just as I was noticing that I happened to be checking out SaabCentral a tad more often (I swear I wouldn't leave here! I swear!), now I have a reason not to.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    For Wulf's hard work, I'll forever be great-full. Thanks Wulf, you-da man!
    Thanks! It's a labor of love, really. But I get the same enjoyment out of the site as I did in my early years with SaabCentral. And as I mentioned before, the site, however small compared to other sites, is nothing without the mods and members.

I have been reading this thread about VerticalScope. It's pretty long but had some really good informative posts. Some of them:

Admin Zone Forums - View Single Post - VerticalScope
    Admin Zone Forums - View Single Post - VerticalScope

First let's talk about WHY they buy forums. The reason VS is able to buy so many forums is because they have the money. They are the Walmart, the 800 lb gorilla in the online forum industry. They have figured out a way to profit greatly from economies of scale. They run their own hosting platform and can therefore run many large forums at a MUCH cheaper cost than any single owner paying hosting fees. They run their own ad network, so they can sell sponsorships and banner ad placements across any or ALL of their forums, dramatically increasing their page views vs any single forum owners, therefore commanding higher rates and higher profits. They have the capital on hand to invest large sums up front and recoup that money over many years, so they can make HUGE offers to forum owners, which in turn adds to their growing network, pageviews and audience. This is exactly how Walmart squeezes mom-and-pop shops out of business as well. It's not illegal, it's not even unethical. Is it nice? No. Is it fair? No, but nobody said business has to be fair. It's just a fact of life in a Capitalist Society.
    I don't really have a problem with VS but more the way the SC Admins sold the site. Did they even offer it to the moderator team for the same price VS offered? They certainly didn't offer it to the long-time regular members and main contributors of the site.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    My only problem with VS is that it's like "the Walmart... of the online forum industry." I try to avoid Walmart because I know they sell cheaper versions than other stores, one of the ways they keep cost down. The employees there are never that great, and they always have 3 cashiers while there are massive lines and something like 27 registers.

I feel VS is somewhat like that. A person is put in charge of a forum and (as in SaabCentral's case) it is left alone. But thats the thing, the forum is frozen. It's no longer evolving with it's users wants and needs. They are given the generic same level forum, instead of one that can grow into something better. The person in charge has no real desire to keep up with the wants, other than money. They don't really know anything about the users, other than "they don't want change."

While that isn't a horrible situation, I'd rather support someone's forum who takes pride in their work, and goes to great lengths to keep improving the site. It just gives me a good feeling that there is some guy (Wulf) who enjoys keeping up a site that other people enjoy, use, and support; the other choice is the person behind the desk who merely tries to keep peace and the people content.

Different motivations lead to vastly different outcomes.

Saab(s)
    '01 LPT wagon (RIP), '05 Aero (gone), '07 XC70!
    Huh. So what's this place here, then? The bar looks different but the crowd seems familiar....

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Welcome Les, glad to see you made it over here. Different place, same people, same stories.. Actually, also many new members I haven't seen on SC before.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9³ Arc
    I have asked the new admin to delete my SC account, as I can't agree to the new T&C, and especially the fact that they (T&C) change drastically without further notice.

Wrestrepo
    Quote Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
    Huh. So what's this place here, then? The bar looks different but the crowd seems familiar....
    Now you are a true Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    Welcome Les, glad to see you made it over here. Different place, same people, same stories.. Actually, also many new members I haven't seen on SC before.
    I hope that this forum picks up the same way it did at the beginning.....another perfect opportunity to increase membership and participation.

Quote Originally Posted by colombo View Post
    I have asked the new admin to delete my SC account, as I can't agree to the new T&C, and especially the fact that they (T&C) change drastically without further notice.
    What's the difference, and what bothered you? sorry, I am asking you to let me copy your homework since I have not bothered to check the new TC yet

Ian Robinson
    Saab(s)
    1989 c900 T16S T5
    I have no particularly strong feelings about the ownership of SaabCentral, or their new T's&C's, but I do know I don't bother going on Saabscene any more, because of the number of ad's, and the fact that almost all of them are totally irrelevant to me (I don't care if I can get cheap tyres in Pennsylvania or Connecticut, I live in Sussex!).

So if SaabCentral's been taken over by those same people, and is going to go that way (and I haven't seen any evidence of it yet - I see no more ads than there were) then I probably won't bother going there. But happy to contribute my occasional two penn'orth here!

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    All I have to say on this whole topic is ... let's use this opportunity to make SW the forum we want it to be.
    A little like SC used to be a few years ago ... but better! ;-)
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Saab(s)
    '03 9-3 SS Vector
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    Bonjour Frank, I'm back with a passion ... SAABs.
    I've been offline for a few months with othert priorities, even neglected to acknowledge messages that many friends have sent me.
    You've done an excellent job here, I'll need a little time to get upto par and then ..

So, Les is hanging out here now .. I'd better behave myself.
    David
    Cheers from a little town 3 hours Saabing south west of Huy