Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saab(s)
    9-3 aero convertible v6 MY09

Boiling coolant after stopping....pours out of overflow

Firstly, an apology. I'm sure that this is answered somewhere, but I can't find it through the search engine.

I have a 2009, 9-3, 2.8 V6 convertible. Have had it for all of 2 months (first Saab) and I am consistently getting coolant low message. Top it up, don't lose any coolant while driving, fan coming on and off fine, water temperature stable and in middle of range etc. etc. But then I found that having stopped the coolant in the reservoir is bubbling away and coolant pouring out of the overflow.

Not 100% confident in cap, goes on OK but not as nice as I'd like. Before I take it to local garage and get told to have a new pump, reservoir, hoses etc. etc. I wanted to ask for input from the wisdom of the forum.

Appreciate your help.....could it just be the cap (clutching at straws), is it worth swapping out the reservoir myself, is engine actually overheating?

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Is the fan coming on when the car is stopped as well? The Engine Control Module (ECM) regulates the fans when the ignition is "OFF" based on coolant temperature or how the exhaust temperature has been previously. This to avoid overheating due to lack of airflow when the car is at standstill.

The fans may be running for max 7 minutes when the coolant temperature is >103°C when the ignition was turned off. An increased temperature will be seen on the gauge when the ignition is turned "ON" for a moment; if the needle is above the horisontal position it's an indication of engine overheating.

Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero
    Mine did the exact same thing this morning! That is what prompted me to this site here is the thread I found http://saabworld.net/f69/how-replace...v6-engine-794/ I have had the same little error light come on every once in a while and it looks like the culprit is the coolant expnasion tank. Poorly designed mine finally cracked all the way causing my issue. Saab dealer had one in stock ($150 with hoses) Hope this helps!

Saab(s)
    Thanks all. Re. ECM, yes fan coming on and off fine after stopping, so doesn't seem to be issue with ECM.

Will have another look at the expansion tank, looks fine from what I can see, but guess it could be a tiny crack somewhere (perhaps on the join) causing the problem. Sounds like I'll have to replace that first to eliminate it if nothing else.

Saab(s)
    Cyberspun, just to confirm, you were losing coolant from the overflow after stopping? or the expansion tank welds?

If the first, the new tank solved your problem?

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moggy View Post
    Thanks all. Re. ECM, yes fan coming on and off fine after stopping, so doesn't seem to be issue with ECM.

Will have another look at the expansion tank, looks fine from what I can see, but guess it could be a tiny crack somewhere (perhaps on the join) causing the problem. Sounds like I'll have to replace that first to eliminate it if nothing else.
    As the fans are coming on after stopping as well, is the boiling/bubbling caused by the turbocharger cooling down, being a completely normal activity, however without pouring the coolant.

The cars affected with regard to the cracked expansion tank issue, are within the VIN range 66000001 - 96001658 for the CVs. The Modification Instruction number is 260-2722. A verification of replacement / modification having been implemented, may be seen by a label marked by 12842086 on the hose going to right inlet (seen from front) of the tank.

Given the tank doesn't have any cracks, the culprit could be reverse routing of the breather hose from the engine and return turbocharger cooling. As the replacement includes rerouting of the hoses to the inlets of the tank, could you take a look: Is the hose coming from the pipe along the right hand side of the engine going to the right inlet of the tank?

Do you use antifreeze mixed with water for the coolant? This raises the boiling point by quite some degrees.

Saab(s)
    Thanks! Checked the tank and the hoses have definitley been inverted and the tank part number can be seen as 12842086, 4, so assuming it was done, possibly before original sale (2009).

Looks like it has antifreeze in it but is from prior to me having the car so I will have it replaced and see if helps.

Cleaned the cap up and it seems to be much freer (clicks when shaking it now). Not sure if that could help but seemed like a good thing to do. Took it for a run, got it hot and seems much better, but time will tell.

Re. the reverse routing, are you suggesting I should put them back the other way, to how they would have been prior to the recall?

Appreciate the help. Love these cars!

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Always replace your cap every few years! The cap get so hot that it melts and dry's out the plastic. It will eventually CRUMBLE when ignored too long. New hoses for soft/mushy or swollen hoses are a must. The tank is usually fine as long as the hoses and the CAP are good and fresh. 2009 should have the proper software for the fans from the factory. 2006/2007 MY cars had to have an update to cycle the fans more often.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moggy View Post
    Thanks! Checked the tank and the hoses have definitley been inverted and the tank part number can be seen as 12842086, 4, so assuming it was done, possibly before original sale (2009).

Looks like it has antifreeze in it but is from prior to me having the car so I will have it replaced and see if helps.

Cleaned the cap up and it seems to be much freer (clicks when shaking it now). Not sure if that could help but seemed like a good thing to do. Took it for a run, got it hot and seems much better, but time will tell.

Re. the reverse routing, are you suggesting I should put them back the other way, to how they would have been prior to the recall?

Appreciate the help. Love these cars!
    The Saab recommendation pertaining to the coolant is a 50/50% mixture. This, together with system pressure, gives the coolant boiling point of 268°F (131°C). The usage of pure water only will reduce the point by 8°F. As it seems you've made a positive progress by cleaning the cap, is maybe replacemant by an original one the next, inexpensive, step to take. The OEM P/N is 92 02 799 (9202799), having a [FONT=Verdana]relief valve o[FONT=Verdana]pening pressure of 1,4 - 1,5Bar.[/FONT]

The reverse routing you have verified with regard to the inlet hoses of the expansion tank, is in accordance with the instructions given in the modification procedure. Prior to the modification the turbocharger return was fed to the right hand inlet of the tank. So I think you should leave them as they are, for the time being.

From the WIS, short description of the cooling system: "When the engine is off, coolant circulates in the turbocharger in the same direction as when the engine is running. This occurs with the help of the thermosyphon principle. After the engine has been run hard, a boiling/bubbling noise may be audible. This is completely normal."[/FONT]

Saab(s)
    08 9-3 Aero 2.8L B284
    Sorry to bump this but I just recently started having this exact issue with the leakage showing in the same area after replacing my radiator with a do88 radiator after the OEM one cracked at the end tank. Did you ever figure it out? Did getting a new expansion tank help? I plan on getting a Genuinesaab dome tank here soon if I can verify its the issue.