Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 ARC 2.3T wagon

'04 9-5 ARC A/C air temperature isn't cold

1) A/C air flow from blower doesn't seem very strong. What sort of force should the air flow exhibit ? Subjective question, I know, but the air flow in my car seems pretty anemic.
    2) I reset the unit to No stored settings but Air temperature does not feel refrigerated at all, even when setting is at the lowest, "LO". Nor did it feel particularly hot when set on "HI".
    3) Could a dirty cabin air filter prevent (cold or hot) air from properly entering the cabin ?
    4) Is this symptom of more serious problem, i.e., compressor, etc?

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    First thing I would do is the cabin air filter, its not too expensive and it probably needs done anyway, most people don't think to replace them.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Lets assume you have checked and there is good level on the refrigerant. If you have checked the compressor is working, you can jump it to test it and since there are no codes your my next step would be to check the DICE which transmits the signals to your compressor to engage. If you compressor is engaging but you are not getting cool air then I would say it is not the DICE but a misdiagnosis on the amount of coolant you have in the system. I would also bet you cabin filter is full of stuff as the fan generally fails by running at high speed or not at all and it often is just the 15 cent brushes in the fan that can be replaced unless the whole unit is shot. As to how to check the DICE I don't think you can. Buy a used one and put it in in 15 minutes under the dash.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 ARC 2.3T wagon
    What is "DICE" ? Where under the dash will I find it ? The place I bought the car told me they had recently replaced something in the A/C (and not major, like compressor), and maybe this is it.! I'm going there today to coerce them into fixing whatever is wrong since I only got the car on saturday., and will have them show me whatever 'it' is so I can do this myself next time.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    My 2004 9-5 Arc also had issues with the A/C and did not provide any cooling. A local garage recharged the system and did a dye leak test. It turned out there was a very small leak near or in the compressor and the system would only work for about 3-4 months after the charge.

My suggestion would be to have the A/C system checked first and recharge if needed. If it happens again, you'll know there is a leak somewhere.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Sportwagon, Parchment Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    My 2004 9-5 Arc also had issues with the A/C and did not provide any cooling. A local garage recharged the system and did a dye leak test. It turned out there was a very small leak near or in the compressor and the system would only work for about 3-4 months after the charge.

My suggestion would be to have the A/C system checked first and recharge if needed. If it happens again, you'll know there is a leak somewhere.
    Resurrecting an old thread here @nordwulf but where are the refrigerant ports on a 2005 9-5? I know earlier card had them behind the passenger headlight but I can’t find any description of the location of the ports on later cars.