Saab(s)
    2005 9-3 2.0t, Past: 2000 9-5 2.3t, 1990 saab 900s

Coolant Change - Saab 9-3 (2003-2012)

Tools:
    8mm socket and socket
    Drain pan
    50/50 or Concentrate Dexcool* 1-2 gallons

Notes:
    -Only use Dexcool in this system. Coolant should be replaced if its specific gravity indicates improper freeze protection or if pH indicates acidity. Some say 5 years 150,00 for Dexcool but it pasted both tests, so don't worry too much if you've never changed it. You'll drain about 2-3 liters of coolant so you may want to repeat these steps 2-3 times as the system holds 7.5 liters of coolant. 3-5 year change interval.
    Name:  DSC00452.JPG
Views: 17701
Size:  37.3 KB
    Procedure:
    Drain
    1. Remove expansion tank cap.
    2. Remove front spoiler shield
    3. Open radiator petcock to drain fluid (If its not draining you may not have turned the petcock far enough or it could be slightly clogged). Petcock is located on the right side of the radiator above subframe.
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 17958
Size:  37.2 KB
    Fill/Bleed
    1. Close petcock
    2. Fill expansion tank 20mm above max mark. Close tank
    3. Start engine and allow to warm.
    4. Hold rev's around 2,000 and allow radiator fans to cycle 1-2 times.
    5. Check coolant level.

*Use only distilled water when mixing concentrate coolant. Mix prior to filling system as coolant as water may not mix inside system. Minerals in tap water may precipitate out and damage system.
    Last edited by Blackbird; 14 April 2014 at 23:00.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3T
    @Blackbird, what do you mean with "You'll drain about 2-3 liters of coolant so you may want to repeat these steps 2-3 times as the system holds 7.5 liters of coolant."

If you will drain about 2-3 liters of coolant, then where are the other 4-5 liters stored that you need to keep repeating the process to flush them?

Gary
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T
    In the past my experience performing a coolant change went as follows:

Things you are going to need might be a catch pan with a large capacity, 10-12 empty 1 gallon jugs to measure and capture old coolant, 2 gallons of Dexcool antifreeze, 6-8 gallons of distilled, 1 new t-stat and funnel.

First, I remove the t-stat and reconnect that housing to close the circulation loop, remove the cap on the radiator and the expansion tank, open the petcock at the bottom of the radiator (drain into a catch pan), funnel into 1 gallon jugs, replace the amount drained with the same amount of distilled water through the expansion tank-once filled replace both caps and start the engine, turn on your heater full blast and allow the engine to reach full temp or about 200 degree F, turn engine off and let cool a bit, start the process all over again, remove the two radiator caps, open petcock, drain coolant into a catch pan, funnel dirty coolant into 1 gallon jugs, close petcock.
    Repeat this process until you are comfortable with the clarity of the fluid coming out of the Bottom of the radiator. Monitor the amount of your last draining as you will need to know how much of the 50/50 coolant mix to add at the end.

Now that you are ready to add your 50/50 coolant mix, open the t-stat housing, fill the system through your expansion tank until it flows out of the t-stat housing, funnel what you can down down the motor side of the t-stat opening, once the system seems full install a new t-stat and secure the housing down to the motor. Start the motor one final time, monitor your engine temp by feeling the radiator hose coming from the top of the radiator (squeeze it from time to time to push the air out), add additional coolant mix through the expansion tank until it is properly filled. Don't forget to leave your heater on full blast during this time to make certain that the heater core gets filled and to workout any air bubbles in the system.

Hope this helps :-)

When I did this last summer on my V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee I believe I had 12 or 13 gallons of used coolant to recycle. I have a pic of all those jugs lined up-from black ass nasty to damn near clear. Wish I knew how attach that pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    2008-2011 Saab 9-3 has lifetime coolant, Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze and Coolant. Peak Global Lifetime is actually hard to find but is available of all places at Walgreen's Drug stores.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    Same idiotic thing than 15000 or 20000 oil change intervals, just for saying we spare x amounts of coolant when we filled the cars the first time at the gate of factory, no onecould be a lifetime thing after 5 yrs coolant are out.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    2008 Saab 9-3 owners manual page 212.

Note
    If incorrect coolant is used or added, the
    life-time properties will be affected. Even if
    the coolant is flushed from the system and
    replaced with life-time coolant, life-time
    properties are no longer retained and the
    coolant must then be drained and replaced
    at regular intervals.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    2009 Saab 9-3 owners manual has same statement on page 210.

PEAKĀ® Global LifeTime™ 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze & Coolant features a patented, advanced
    organic acid technology that provides guaranteed LifeTime protection – for as long as you own
    your vehicle!*

I obtained the Peak fluid from my Saab dealer when I purchased my 2008 9-3. Since they had only the undiluted fluid I have never used it. The one gallon of diluted fluid that I obtained for my 2008 9-3 and the one gallon obtained for my 2009 9-3 have barely been used. I use them to top off the coolant before oil changes to prevent some other coolant from being used during oil changes.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    The lifetime coolant might still be good, but the newest Saab is now 6 years old and coolant hoses don't last forever. It doesn't matter how good your coolant is, it all goes away when the first hose blows, so with a coolant change, consider changing all hoses.

Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 2.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    but the newest Saab is now 6 years old and coolant hoses don't last forever. consider changing all hoses.
    HA!
    All hoses now upgraded during a rad/intercooler/condenser upgrade/repair.
    RE: flushing the system
    Will this make things worse? (before putting the original coolant back?)
    New coolant would cause problems?

Very interesting , the 2008 Saab 9-3 owners manual page 212.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesteeltuner View Post
    HA!
    All hoses now upgraded during a rad/intercooler/condenser upgrade/repair.
    RE: flushing the system
    Will this make things worse? (before putting the original coolant back?)
    New coolant would cause problems?

Very interesting , the 2008 Saab 9-3 owners manual page 212.
    Your car is now 15 years old and odds are that sometime in the last decade or so, that someone has added coolant mixed with tap water and that kills lifetime coolant. Also keep in mind that color doesn't mean type like it used to, so read the side of the jug before adding.

If you know the history of you coolant and you are going to replace your coolant with the same kind of coolant flushing isn't going to matter. If you are changing coolant types, flushing is the smart thing to do.