Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T

Oil Leak in 2003 2.0

Bought a 93 auto for my son to drive and it has an oil leak. There is so much stuff crammed into the engine bay it's hard to see anything. In searching the web I have found numerous ways these cars leak oil from the Power steering pump? to a rear main seal. there is oil pooled on top of the Bell Housing but I can't see where it came from and the valve cover gasket looks to be ok. Need a check list from easiest to hardest on what where to look. Hoping it's not the rear main....

I've got the same problem. A local mechanic said that oil was leaking from my power steering pump and that there may be other locations that are leaking :/

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Read about the PS pump leak and the VAC pump leak but can't find the how to fix thread....

Yeah that's what I've been looking for

Saab(s)
    2005 9-3 2.0t, Past: 2000 9-5 2.3t, 1990 saab 900s
    So its leaking P/S fluid? How many miles? Top off your fluids. Take the engine cover off and clean all areas covered in fluid. Leaving the cover off drive it as you would normally and periocally check for leaks. Chances are a seal has dried up from never changing the fluid.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    My car has 130K and it's probably due for a full fluid flush and replace. Only owned it for about 2000 miles.
    I'll get the motor steam cleaned and remove the engine cover as recommended.
    Are the seals easy to change? or do you need to replace the pump?

Saab(s)
    2005 9-3 2.0t, Past: 2000 9-5 2.3t, 1990 saab 900s
    Yeah, I'd drain and refill all of your fluids at least once. The P/S reservoir is best drained and refilled using a turkey baster and a graduated cylinder of some kind, you'd be this or a period of days so that new fluid is circulated through the system. I wouldn't flush the fluids but drain and refill, flushing an AT transmission does not change the filter and may even clog it. And make sure who ever services your car is putting the correct fluids back in. I'd also be careful using any kind of pressurize water gun on the engine compartment. You could force water or even dirt into components (i.e. alternator, compressor, serpentine belt pulleys or track) or passed seals. You could also damage or temporarily knock out sensors. I would wipe the areas by hand and carefully use brake cleaner to remove oil.

If you check out my list of threads I've posted how to do a few fluid changes.

I've never changed P/S components on this car but there are two gaskets that I know of. The gasket between the engine and pump and the gasket on the supply line (looks like an old brake line). You may also have a leak on the P/S unit itself, but we'll probably find out shortly. If you have to remove the pump and you'll have to bleed the system, I can give you some pointers on the based on the Service Data.