Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    So my updates aren't much - I have all the parts - I have had all my parts via a parts head assembly for over 3 weeks now. I spent a little time Saturday with the attempt to assembly my cylinder head. Learned that the two guides I need to press out and in will be harder then I planned with the available equipment I have. I will be taking it over to a machine shop Monday or Tuesday to have them press those in for me. I may even out of laziness ask how much to toss the rest of it together for me so I can just put my car back together this week.... I am tired of looking at the car covered in pollen sitting there.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I feel for you Burnside. Just be happy that it is pollen on the car and not snow!
    I washed and waxed my 03 Aero today. It should look great but I also washed and waxed all the dents it's received since I got it. It's been hit 4 times! All while parked!
    I cropped out the broken tail light... Sigh.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    I put the car back together about 2 weeks ago - it's still broken. I took a 2 week break from it. Seems like a cracked piston or a blown ring-land on cylinder #1 remains. Head will be coming off again - likely new piston or pistons going in....
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    Shits still broke - it's getting a junk yard <80K engine I pulled for $285 Car was still missing/no compression on cylinder 1 post re-assembly. Burned a piston or a ring. Don't care - just want fixed lol. I'll tear apart the "bad" engine later - unless someone wants to buy the fully rebuilt head off it from me.

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    OH - and I bought a 2006 9-7X Arc with the 5.3 V8 Fully Loaded :-D

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    Round 2 - Engine Replacing....

Last edited by Burnsside42; 30 August 2014 at 23:24.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    OH - and I bought a 2006 9-7X Arc with the 5.3 V8 Fully Loaded :-D
    From what I've heard you may be doing the same engine job to it too. All the ones around here have a oil burning problem. Rings?
    They may not have been looked after like most of the cars. Different demographic. My buddy has the GM version. I tease him that it was made by SAAB and just branded GM. His motor was replaced by GM under warranty.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    From what I've heard you may be doing the same engine job to it too. All the ones around here have a oil burning problem. Rings?
    They may not have been looked after like most of the cars. Different demographic. My buddy has the GM version. I tease him that it was made by SAAB and just branded GM. His motor was replaced by GM under warranty.
    Bite me ;-) My Brother in laws Envoy had it's heads redone with new lifters @ 82K and now @ 130K and needs it again.... Mine has the typical noisy lifters and injectors but it runs and drive just as it should. IF I ever have to do lifters I am getting some Corvette heads for it and some headers. The engines were pretty much good by 2005 FYI - the old ring issues were resolved by then and very few Saab 9-7's out this way ever had a problem with either the lifters or the rings. The trick is to leave it alone and run fuel cleaner through it often lol.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Lol. My buddy doesn't really drive the truck. His wife does. (They calls it a truck... Live in the country... Makes calling it a SAAB sting a bit more.)
    I found out it was in for a motor one day when I dropped in and he had the dealerships service truck in his driveway. Yes the dealership service truck! His wife took her truck in and would NOT take any "piece of cr.. car they were offering. She bought a truck, came with a broken truck and she was leaving with a truck!"
    So they gave her the service truck!
    I wish I'd have been there for that awkward moment in the office. (She is a really good looking red head that won't back down!)
    They did a nice job of cleaning the service truck before they gave it to her.
    Corvette heads and headers... Will be a Very nice addition!
    finding41
    Marty Jackson

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    FYI - it lives! I took it our last night for a 100 mile shake down. Runs and pulls amazing! CEL is on for the GS 3" DP - so no bid deal there and the brakes have had it. Tires need a rebalance. Overall just minor maintenance things really. Feels so good to be back in a fast Saab :-)
    Last edited by Burnsside42; 29 September 2014 at 05:04.