Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -

Angry The joys of being a Saab Tech and owning a 2006 9-3 COmbi 2.0T

So as many of you know I own a 2006 9-3 2.0T Fusion Blue Combi (automatic). I bought this car with about 52,000 miles on it mid/late last year (2013). I've since been well aware of my "cold starting issues" which I put off as carbon on the intake valves. I never did a compression test - just ran GM top engine cleaner a few times, and some BG Induction cleaner which DID make a vast improvement and I was able to get through winter. I was fully planning on fixing this issue - but as spring was getting close the rough idle and rough starts were come back more. Finally the car decided on my way home one night from work that it had enough and it was time. As I was merging onto 611S to go home - WOT I started feeling a strange vibration like a misfire or flat tire feeling. I speed up and slowed down a few times trying to see what was up. After about a mile or less of this I pulled over. As soon as I stopped I saw the smoke billow out from under the hood. NOT GOOD. I opened the hood and had oil all over the expansion tank and the turbo (pretty much the back center of the engine area). I had NO idea where it was coming from. I restarted it and it was running like crap - missing and such. I called for a tow and was brought back to work on a flat bed.
    The next day I pulled it into the shop and put it up in the air - mostly dry underneath but the top was soaked.... hmmm So I checked the oil level and it was still full and cleanish looking (it was 1/2 way through it's last oil change). So I started it up and it still ran like it was missing - so I reved it up and it would smooth out. That lead to removing the oil cap and repeating this. As soon as the cap came off the puffs of smoke make my Saab look like a steam train! It was boosting into the crank case and blowing the oil out the fill cap. Great!
    After pulling the valve cover we could clearly see what went wrong. Cylinder #1 had a lifter break into 2 and the spring came apart and the valve got stuck.
    Off With it's HEAD!

Oh - and I have a little over 60,600 miles on the engine - no warranty. All my new parts are in - I just need TIME to start to assemble the head and recheck it to ensure the valves seat/seal properly.

In the mean time while the turbo is out and I am doing a 60K the hard way - a Genuine Saab 3" downpipe with car will be fitted, a 16T compressor wheel is going in the turbo along with a Forge by-pass valve. Custom exhaust will follow as well as a stage 2.5 tune or so. I also bought one of these from Hirsch;

So that's my story - and I'm sticking to it. Update will follow. Plans to have it going back together next week.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Shit... that isn't supposed to happen after only 60K miles..

Being a Saab Tech, have you seen the same issue and need for repair on customer cars? Or is your just an isolated incident? I can imagine that is probably a very expensive repair when someone has to pay a garage to fix something like that.

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    This is the FIRST time I have heard or seen of this type of failure - on a Saab or any ecotec engine. This is an isolated incident for sure.

On the other hand - it allows me to install these;
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    A sad story! However do I hope the few "add-ons" will put some relief to the grief in due course

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    So what is the part from Hirsch? I can't identify it from the photo.

On a side note: have you seen many failures of the plastic Tee fitting in the coolant plumbing on the 4-cylinder engines? This is the Tee located near the passenger side front edge of the engine, 1-1/4 inch diameter through legs with a 1/2 inch diameter branch leg. Just curious as I bought a machined aluminum replacement since the plastic Saab part is made from unobtanium and a Florida based Tech says these break regularly in the Florida heat.

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    So finally spent some more time with my head and the turbo tonight - first things first.
    The 16T wheel I got - no fit. Way to large for the core and the inlet housing. So doing a 16T wheel yourself - not possible w/out other parts. So that upgrade is out.
    The Forge valve however fit flawlessly and is clearly far better built than the OEM units. This alone should just be done if you have the coin. For referance it is Forge part # FMDVRMR - as linked above.

NOW - I finally flipped over the head to clean and further inspect - no idea why I had not done this yet. Turns out the Valve guide is also broken - awesome!
    So tomorrow I'm ordering 2 new valve guides for the failed cylinder.

I am also working on tracking down a spare camshaft so I don't re-use my cursed parts. I am toying with buying a local rebuilt head to just swap my new valves into and bolt that on. $200 used/rebuilt head locally... I'm going to offer $100 CASH and see what they say.

Pictures;

Cylinder head is "wet" from top engine cleaner soaking;

So there's my current update.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Ouch! I feel for ya!
    Those valve guides just slide right out... Right...
    So I would imagine a different head is in order.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3t

oil in intake

My 2007 9-3t I tool off air intake butterfly to clean and intake has oil laying inside it. Do you know why and how I can fix it. Car runs good.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    You should probably start a new thread with that question.
    But the oil is probably coming from the turbo. The bearings and seals give out after a while. A rebuilt turbo cartage is the easiest fix. Around $200 on Ebay.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3t

turbo

I looked on ebay didn't see one for 07 9-3t. I see your redoing yours did you get yours from ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    You should probably start a new thread with that question.
    But the oil is probably coming from the turbo. The bearings and seals give out after a while. A rebuilt turbo cartage is the easiest fix. Around $200 on Ebay.