Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-7x 4.2l

2006 9-7x Dash Mounted Cup Holder

Hi All,

I have a question about the retractable cup holder found in the dash of most Saab's and especially my 9-7x. Long story short, it broke off and I would like to replace it. The only issue, I can't find one and wanted to know if anybody might know where to locate one. I'm located in Southern California and I think the 9-7x I own, might be the only one left as I've NEVER seen another one. Anyway, any info would be greatly appreciated. I actually like this vehicle and bought it after my troublesome Range Rover finally had to go after the air suspension failed for the 4th time. This Saab was a steal, one owner and immaculate. In the few weeks we've had it, we've already put over 2000 miles on it and still love it. It's not my first Saab, but as mentioned before, I don't really consider it as a true Saab. Its certainly a Chevrolet Trailblazer with a Saab ignition in the console and grill on the front end. Lol.

Let me know on that cup holder when and if somebody knows...

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Hello and welcome George. I would start with finding an auto recycler that is dismantling a 9-7X and ask if they have any cupholders. A good place to start is car-part.com. You can't search for 'cup holder' but if you search for something like 'dash panel', you'll see a list of recyclers that may have the cup holder as well.

Here is a 9-7X on eBay: 05 Saab 9 7x Dash Bezel | eBay

If you want a new one, contacting a Saab Service Center is probably your best place to find one: Ignition Cassette's - Saab Parts USA

Good luck!

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    I have 2 cup holders in stock - used and GOOD. contact me.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2006 9-7x
    Quote Originally Posted by Saabrolet View Post
    Hi All,

I have a question about the retractable cup holder found in the dash of most Saab's and especially my 9-7x. Long story short, it broke off and I would like to replace it. The only issue, I can't find one and wanted to know if anybody might know where to locate one. I'm located in Southern California and I think the 9-7x I own, might be the only one left as I've NEVER seen another one. Anyway, any info would be greatly appreciated. I actually like this vehicle and bought it after my troublesome Range Rover finally had to go after the air suspension failed for the 4th time. This Saab was a steal, one owner and immaculate. In the few weeks we've had it, we've already put over 2000 miles on it and still love it. It's not my first Saab, but as mentioned before, I don't really consider it as a true Saab. Its certainly a Chevrolet Trailblazer with a Saab ignition in the console and grill on the front end. Lol.

Let me know on that cup holder when and if somebody knows...
    Hi. I too have a 2006 9-7x, Lingonberry Red with the I6 4.2. Supposedly the Saab engineers were allowed to tweek the suspension and install a quicker steering rack. There is also good information on SaabCentral Forums and GMTNation. My cup holder is good but I heard about so many broken ones, I'm afraid to use it. Moot point as I don't drink or eat in my vehicles.

Frank A

Saab(s)
    97x
    I wanted to know if you still have the retractable cup holders for a 2006 Saab 9-7x for sale, if you can please reply or email: franka0408@comcast.net
    Thank you!

Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 AERO
    I have a 2008 9-7x. I need a cupholder.. Please email if you have one for sale. Rsunico@yahoo.com
    thanks!

JD
    Saab(s)
    9.7x 4.2
    If your cupholder is "broken"- that is to say it pops out and retracts OK, but the round loop that is supposed to twist from vertical into a horizontal position is not doing its thing, it can likely be easily fixed.
    Remove the "wood" dash trim with a putty knife, carefully prying all around the outer edge of that trim panel.
    Remove the cup holder from the dash- 2 screws- being careful not to let the upper speed nut fall into the dash cavity (mine did)
    Take the two screws out of the side of the cup holder assembly, and then carefully pry the clips around the perimeter until you can pop the assembly open.
    Inside you will likely find the little part that looks like a dumbell with a round hole in the center. It pops back on the shaft of the loop.
    Reassemble and you should be good to go.

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5

Ring goes beyond 90 degrees

The one in my 2005 9-5 is broken such that the ring that the cup fits into goes past 90 degrees. Will this fix take care of it? I'm guessing their is a plastic gear that is stripped. If anyone has one they want to sell for $40 or so, let me know. Does the trim in the 9-5 remove with a putty knife same as the 9-7? I thought I'd have to pull the radio and go in through that hole.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar245 View Post
    If your cupholder is "broken"- that is to say it pops out and retracts OK, but the round loop that is supposed to twist from vertical into a horizontal position is not doing its thing, it can likely be easily fixed.
    Remove the "wood" dash trim with a putty knife, carefully prying all around the outer edge of that trim panel.
    Remove the cup holder from the dash- 2 screws- being careful not to let the upper speed nut fall into the dash cavity (mine did)
    Take the two screws out of the side of the cup holder assembly, and then carefully pry the clips around the perimeter until you can pop the assembly open.
    Inside you will likely find the little part that looks like a dumbell with a round hole in the center. It pops back on the shaft of the loop.
    Reassemble and you should be good to go.

JD
    Saab(s)
    9.7x 4.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotwell9-5 View Post
    The one in my 2005 9-5 is broken such that the ring that the cup fits into goes past 90 degrees. Will this fix take care of it? I'm guessing their is a plastic gear that is stripped. If anyone has one they want to sell for $40 or so, let me know. Does the trim in the 9-5 remove with a putty knife same as the 9-7? I thought I'd have to pull the radio and go in through that hole.

If the ring spins, there is a small part that has likely popped off due to stressing it past 90 when deployed. If you carefully remove the assembly from the dash and disassemble the cupholder, you can likely pop this part back on, put it back together and you'll be good to go. The part pops off when it is under stress.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    I still have a few available for sale. Some are grey 9-5 ones - but all are good/work.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com