Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Just 2 for now I didn't want to be the weird guy taking photos of the car he hasn't bought yet lmao... But the guy who found the car for me in the first place took these pics:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400881097.330607.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  50.1 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400881264.840096.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  40.4 KB

I'll definitely be taking more after I buy it!

Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 2.3t
    Looks like a beaut. I saw the Emory sticker on the back. Maybe it spent a few winters in the deep south and got saved from some of your famed northern rust.
    2000 9-5 2.3t Sedan

Haha wow I just assumed Emory University was just another university in NE that I didn't know about! Nice! This would be my 3rd major purchase of something that (sort of) came from GA... I bought 2 broken as-is MacBooks from 2 different people in Georgia - both really cheap and easy fixes in good condition Hoping this is a gem too...

1999 Saab 9-3 SE Convert. vs 2001 BMW 330i

So... I got it inspected today... Bad news - exhaust system is already so bad that it won't pass inspection. There are 2 holes - one in the center muffler and another in the exhaust flex pipe. To fix it, they want $750, which is apparently a very fair price. But $3,200 for a 2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t which hasn't had a sump drop done, needs $750 in repairs to pass state inspection, and comes with only a couple oil change receipts (so it may very well have the sludge problem) - does that sound ridiculous to anyone else? It also has a rusted out fuel filter, the transmission fluid needs to be replaced, and the front brake rotors are rusted and need to be replaced.

It sucks because I really loved driving it, it was fun, easy, and I felt confident behind the wheel. So I guess I've got 2 questions: What would be your counter-offer? Would you just walk away? Also, I'm reading that a BMW would be cheaper to repair than a Saab and obviously match its quality in basically every way - I would like to check one or two out but I don't know which models are right for me... Which BMW's should I be looking for if I want something that's not very powerful but is small, plenty safe, and easy to drive for $3,200 or less?

Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 2.3t
    The exhaust issue would be the deal breaker for me if you can't get a cheaper price. I bought mine back in October of last year for $2600 and it only had about 84k on the clock. You are going to have some basic maintenance on it because if it's age but to pay $3200 and be another $750 down is too much for that car. Beamers, for the most part, are solid, reliable cars. My only issue with owning one is that around here they are as common as Fords. If you want to counter, I would throw a price of $2500 as a final offer and be prepared to walk away. You could probably do the exhaust for cheaper and as I said before the sump drop is completely doable for just a few dollars if you do the labor.
    2000 9-5 2.3t Sedan

Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 2.3t
    Honestly, the more I think of it, I would walk away. If there is that much rust that you can see, who knows what is there that you can't see. I know it's harder to find a car not covered in rust up there but I'm sure if you look you can find one. We had the worst winter in recorded history down here and I think the Saab only saw a couple of days of snow driving. (One of those days was an 18 hour day to travel 26 miles due to The Snowpocalypse).
    2000 9-5 2.3t Sedan

1999 Saab 9-3 SE Convert. vs 2001 BMW 330i

Quote Originally Posted by Gen-X'er View Post
    The exhaust issue would be the deal breaker for me if you can't get a cheaper price. I bought mine back in October of last year for $2600 and it only had about 84k on the clock. You are going to have some basic maintenance on it because if it's age but to pay $3200 and be another $750 down is too much for that car. Beamers, for the most part, are solid, reliable cars. My only issue with owning one is that around here they are as common as Fords. If you want to counter, I would throw a price of $2500 as a final offer and be prepared to walk away. You could probably do the exhaust for cheaper and as I said before the sump drop is completely doable for just a few dollars if you do the labor.
    Alright, that's what I figured - the prices for the other 01 9-5's tend to be much closer to just a bit over $2,000, and yes this one's got maybe 40k miles less than the average, but come on... I appreciate the comfort of the Saab as much as anyone, and I'm in love with this one, but yeah - the verdict's in, I'm just gotta offer $2,500 like you said. I doubt she'll get any biters until she goes down a few hundred bucks anyway so sooner or later she'll probably be okay with the $2,500 price point, and because I could probably get some use out of it before repairing the exhaust (it's not gonna kill me, is it?! lol), I think I'd have an easier time getting the money together to buy it...

I'm also being offered an 02 9-5 wagon for $3,200 or less from my local Saab mechanic which includes a 3-month warranty and a 1-year/10k mile tire & brake repair plan. Might just be the better way to go, even though it's a wagon and I'd like to drive the smallest car possible... Anyone selling a Smart ForTwo?

Edit: Didn't see your 2nd post - maybe I should just offer $2,400 considering the lack of receipts, known engine failure defect that was probably supposed to happen 1k miles ago, and the evidence of rust (which I probably should ask more about? I kinda thought just about every car up here older than 10 years would have a good amount of rust, unless it spent much of it's life out of the rust belt.

Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 2.3t
    My guess was that the sedan was the base model like mine. I know it's fully loaded but it's a base nonetheless. Is the wagon also a base or is it am Aero. Aeros are much sought after and would definitely make the wagon worth the money. Also, like you, the wagons don't thrill me but a lot of people really like them and it could be argued that they hold value a little better. Technically I believe the wagon and the sedan are pretty much the same size. Remember that awesome trunk? Just put some glass and a roof on it and you have a wagon.
    2000 9-5 2.3t Sedan

Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 2.3t
    P.S. I'm with you on the small cars. I've owned three Miatas and an MR2. This Saab is like an old Lincoln Continental in my world.
    2000 9-5 2.3t Sedan

Yeah I don't know yet, haven't looked at the car and I didn't want to take up too much of the guy's time over the phone, but I'm gonna be taking a look at it next time I can get a ride out there during work hours... Fingers crossed, sounds promising, particularly if the trunk is really the only thing that's different, and if it's fully loaded... the car, not the trunk... :p