Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1974 99 , 2003 9-5 Arc, 2006 9-5 Sport (daughter's)

Help! Wet engine - No power

I acquired a 2003 Saab 9-5 ARC (3.0 6-cyl) a few days ago, with 144K miles, in VERY GOOD condition.
    I had it looked over at a local Saab/Volvo shop, with a good report.
    I've driven it daily for 3 days without incident.
    Very nice, smooth, quiet performance and strong acceleration.

Today, as part of detailing it, I degreased the engine compartment, when cool,
    as I've done dozens of times before on a variety of vehicles.
    Afterward, I started it up, and it ran a bit rough - not unexpected with it still being somewhat wet.
    After running and revving it mildly for a few minutes, it seemed to dry out sufficiently, and idled much more smoothly.

After an hour or so, after some more detailing, I went to take it for a drive.
    When putting it in gear (automatic transmission), the idle speed was very rough.
    When accelerating, it lacked power, and could barely manage a crawl.
    Trying to go up a relatively steep uphill grade was impossible.

I tried to get it to dry out further, over the course of a few hours, with no sign of improvement.
    It was a warm breezy sunny day.
    Also, the check engine light has come on (not during the initial revving, but after the attempt to drive it).
    In addition, when in neutral/park, the engine (below 1000 RPM) runs rough, yet from 1000 rpm and above, is very smooth.

Though I didn't use any high pressure spraying, I assume water has gotten somewhere it doesn't belong, and remains.

From what I've described, can anyone suggest where specifically the problem might be,
    and what are the next steps I should take?

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    I would first remove the coils on top of the spark plugs and dry them and the holes as a first step.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I'd do what Mike says.
    I used to have Honda Civics. 73,76,81,84. These cars were allergic to wet. If it rained they ran rough. I had the great idea of washing the engine of one of them and it didn't run for over a day.
    Then I met WD40.... I is made for Water Displacement. I started carrying a big can of WD in the car all the time. If It got wet I would spray the cap and wires and wait about 5 min. and take of like nothing had happened.
    The problem wit WD40 is it's messy! Slippery, attracts dirt, generally a mess to work with any part of the engine after you have used it. Oh it also helps some rubber parts fall apart more quickly.
    I would only use it now to determine ware the problem is. And I'm not so sure I'd know ware to start spraying it on my 9-5s.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Hi Mike and Marty,

Thanks for your helpful replies!

I wonder if I may have entered "Limp Home Mode"
    Name:  LimpHome.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  48.8 KB

It sounds like - even if things have dried out sufficiently - this mode would be maintained until "reset" at a shop/dealer.
    (which might explain why I can drive it, but it lacks sufficient power to get me up my hill)

Anyone have any experience with this?

Oh, another dumb question from a newbie - Where are the sparkplugs on the 3.0-6cyl ?? I can't see them!

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Go to youtube and type in "reset limp home mode saab". I've seen it there.
    Fixed.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    This info may help: http://saabworld.net/f29/limp-home-r...b-9-5-a-27538/

The spark plugs are under the ignition discharge modules on top of the cylinder heads. Remove those and you'll have access to the spark plugs.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for all the help - This forum is a Godsend - If only we had the interwebs when I owned my '74 99

I should have provided an update earlier...

I ended it up getting it towed to the shop. It turned out one of the SDI cassettes was ruined - either by the wet - or my persistent attempts to "drive" out the moisture.

Several hundred dollar$ later, it is running well. However, now I get a check-engine light, which is apparently indicating a bad catalytic convertor.
    Mechanic says it may have been caused by un-ignited fuel getting into the CatConv, and eventually burning - or possibly some residual contamination which may clear over time/driving.

I cleared the code a few times, but it returns rather consistently.

Questions for the expert enthusiasts listening:

Does it seem plausible that it may clear over time - or is a replacement inevitable? (i now have ~300 miles since the DI replacement)

Would one of the O2 sensors possibly generate the same code? It there any way to differentiate?

Is a CatConv replacement a DIY job? (I know- it's impossible to tell, not knowing the skill & equip level of the individual, except for the fact that THIS one hosed his engine and ruined his DI cassette ;-)

Anything else to try before springing for the CatConv replacement?

I'm thinking I might put off the replacement, but worry that something else would go un-noticed if the Check-Engine light remains on.
    Would a cheap code reader suffice to alert me of "new" codes show up (assuming I ignore the code for the CC)?

Thanks again!

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    You need to tell us the code number. I doubt it wrecked the cat in that short of time. Your tech is just guessing and cats aint cheap. Several hundred dollars is a lot for one plug coil considering how easy it is to diagnose. I would look for another tech.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1985 900T..1987 900 SPG..1988 SAAB 900 SIS
    disconnect the neg battery cable for 15 min ,that will clear the codes and reset the PCM,