Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    900 GLi , 9-5 wagon 2.3t MY04

are non-OEM parts for oil-trap hoses and crankshaft oil seal worth saving $ for?

I am in the process of tracking down and trying to fix some oil leaks on my 2004 saab 95.

The main oil leak is at the oil pump, and the 2 seals i need to replace are a large black rubber seal (inexpensive, at 10$ from saab in australia), but the main seal (referred to as "crankshaft oil seal" in the saab EPC) cost 110$ here from the saab parts (incl tax). yet i can see the same non-OEM part at the saabparts website for 20$ for ex

i was warned by a local saab mechanic to stick to OEM for this crankshaft oil seal, because the non-oem ones he had used would often leak. are there non-oem brands for this seal that are worth using ? (the saab parts website doesnt give a manufacturer brand name). are there some saab parts websites that carry better quality replacement parts then we can even get from oem-saab ?

reading about the evolution of the 95 model from its inception, reviewers have commented that GM went on a major cost cutting exercise with the 95 and 93 models from 2002 or 2004 onwards, and most cost savings were made by using cheaper clips/seals/switches/connectors. i never had these multiple small oil leaks from basic seals at various points around the engine on my old saab 900 (series 1), which other then a few specific known weaknesses (like steering rack seals, brake pistons) was pretty "oil leak proof". yet with this 95 model, i have to replace many of the basic O rings that seal oil at various locations (already did the throttle body O ring). none of these leaks are major (other then the crankshaft oil seal), but i see many other posters in saab 95 forums tracking down similar problems.

is this just a sign of poor quality O rings and seals having been used by SAAB in this cost cutting phase by GM, and if yes, then shouldnt we be trying to source better quality seals to replace them with instead of just paying top dollar for more SAAB oem replacement parts ?

i have dropped the oil pan and confirmed the oil strainer was not obstructed (and a good quality synthetic engine oil is being used), so i dont believe these minor signs of oil leaks at various seals is a sign of a major other issue related to the dreaded oil sludge problem.

The next job i will tackle after this is replacing some of the oil trap hoses. one has a minor oil leak where it joins onto the oil trap, and with the engine almost having 100.000 km i am keen to replace all the oil trap hoses to make sure they are breathing freely and in good condition). the most important one seems to be the hose going from the oil trap to the throttle body (it has a non return valve in it).

these 3 main hoses cost 45, 65 and 75 $ here, so 200 $ in total to replace. the same hoses on the saabparts website are about 20 $ each, but i have no idea of how quality compares. for the critical breathing hose from throttle body to oil trap (with the one way valve) i wouldnt risk a non-oem part, but what about the others ? there must be many companies making replacement hoses like this, are some more reputable then others and are some even better then the saab oem hoses ?
    Last edited by silver2u; 22 February 2015 at 16:04.

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    Many of the aftermarket hoses for our Saabs are either Uro or Pro-Parts brand. I wouldn't buy either. Uro hoses have a horrible reputation, and Pro-Parts is the current name of the former ScanTech brand. Some ScanTech parts were identical to OEM but many others were so poorly made and designed that they would not even fit. Buying ScanTech was playing the Swedish version of Russian Roulette.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    900 GLi , 9-5 wagon 2.3t MY04
    Roger,
    thanks for the feedback, i'll stay clear of both of those brands !

so are most people here using saab OEM parts for these type of replacement parts ? or has anybody found a way to get "better then OEM" oil trap, radiator or vacuum hoses , or has anybody found some "as good as OEM but with non-saab pricing" maybe . after reading the article of how GM forced SAAB around 2002 - 2004 to go on such a cost cutting drive with those types of critical elements (but which will only fail in older cars, so past warranty concerns for GM), i view these small oil leaks many of us are experiencing with suspicion

when i got a small replacement vacuum hose from saab recently (to replace a small vacuum hose going from the throttle body to ..... mmm i forget ) . the official saab parts garage just cut a short piece off a large roll they had in their service department (and didnt even charge me for it). so even saab garages are using generic hose material for some replacements it seems
    Last edited by silver2u; 22 February 2015 at 17:10.