Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    harry
    Saab Enthusiast SatchSportSedan's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    9-3 Sport Sedan B207E 150Hp

Saab 9-3 2007 CLutch Bearing problem

Hello,

I'm having this car year 3 years, drives fine,
    except for a very short and ultra sensitive clutch, really difficult in slow traffic.
    First thought was ofcoarse clutch wear, except in 3 years it doesn't slip ????

So my thought now is, the clutch spring force plate, suffers fatigue.
    It actually grips correct, but immediate. As there is no play, it is or On/or Off.

Has anybody experience with this?
    I even bleed the hydraulic several times, by foot, the classic way, with 2 persons.
    At no avail?
    Now I read in the WiS, that one needs at the end, to re-engage a part back upstream
    in the clutch cylinder??? Why would this be needed? To re-position its mid-pos?

No Leaks in 3 years aswell.
    Can the in house clutch release bearing leak internally, as a brake master piston van do?
    And how to test/verify this, without first having to remove all tranny-assembly?

Hope someone can answer me this, because it starts getting anyoing driving like this.
    It seems like a beginner, who can't yet control its foot synchronisation,...
    However, I drive already 20years, and +500.000miles
    Without my foot henging on the pedal!

Greetings, Harry.
    Everything is simple ,regarding time spend

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero wagon
    sound like the plate is done, the springs fail and hilds the clutch away from the release bearing causing a low pedal take out the inspection cover and look inside at the bearing

harry
    Saab(s)
    Hello Oldsaabguy,

do you mean plate is gone? Why doesn't it slip than now yet for over 53000Kms ???
    Pedal is not Low, more approx. at same level as others.
    Maybe silly question, but do you have a picture where this inspection cover is situated?
    The only thing (cover) I see (from above) is where the hydraulic-line goes in, with that bleeding niple,
    but this seems not easy to remove, except for one needs to remove aswell the airbleed cylinder,etc...
    At that measn aswell to remove the battery and its holder plate,and more-and more,...

All my other Brand cars, had some easy to pull top cover ;-?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero wagon
    The cover will break and cause the dics to drag, the inspec cover is under the cooler to the left od the cluch line, do not mess with the nipple it will break easy! the cover is small and you will need a light and mirror to look in. would be best to take out the battery to have a better look. I would have it addresses asap because it will cause the sycros to fail.

harry
    Saab(s)
    Help, do you mean that the Synchros can fail, at the end ????

Does this shows by a whining noise, when for example running out to stop, at a trafic light,
    when the engine is idling ???? It comes from behind the Left-driverside frontwheel (EU).
    There's a cover above the drive shaft, where this noise comes from.
    Only hearable idling or at very low speed, because otherwise engine noises overcome the sound.

Don't tell me this will be true?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero wagon
    some noise from the trans is normal, syncros wont make noise bearings do. the cover I want you to take off is small ,black, and plastic. If you look at ! 11 oclocl on the trans at the engine/trans connection you should see it,it is under the oil cooler. , you need to take it to a good Saab place asap.

harry
    Saab(s)

Tranny noise & inspection cover reachability

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsaabguy View Post
    some noise from the trans is normal, syncros wont make noise bearings do. the cover I want you to take off is small ,black, and plastic. If you look at ! 11 oclocl on the trans at the engine/trans connection you should see it,it is under the oil cooler. , you need to take it to a good Saab place asap.
    Hej Mr.Oldsaabguy,

I presume that black plastic cover you are refering to, will only be reachable, after removing the battery & its casing?
    Problems is I have an aftermarket Autogas LPI-installation from Vialle, and they bolted all electronic modules
    to this black battery casing,...
    Are you really sure this is an important issue to adress to asap???
    Because I'm driving with this short clutch behaviour for 3years with 30000miles ago,
    with no change in behaviour nor slipping.

What will I be expected to see, or look for inside that cover?
    How can i distint an hydraulic sticking clutch release bearing?
    Cant it be that the pressure plates springs are fatigued in that way,
    that it still presses firmly, and releasing smoothly; only the re-pressing (when releasing the pedal in the next gear)
    goes quite abruptly. Can it be that the hydraulic clutch bearing is leaking internally, without noticeable oil leak.

I was yet suspecting that bearing noise, coming from one of the two transmissions gears axes.
    Seen the technical drawings, these are found behind that cover I'm refering to.
    In your experience: can I change this bearings, without having to remove the whole transmission???
    Since that covers is easy reachable with the Left front wheel removed.
    So it seems to be purposed for that?
    Can I safely apply a puller to that gears axis???
    Have you experience with that, or could you please direct me to someone who has ???