Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Overheating problem

I own an 89 Saab 900 turbo. And am having trouble with it over heating. The hoses, water pump and thermostat are all good. I've flushed out the system multiple times, and it was clear each time. Water is not getting from the reservoir to the radiator and I can't find why. There is water flow in the hoses on the rear side of the engine but not the front end when the engine is running. Again there are no blockages in the hoses. When it is empty it will only take one gallon of fluid, not the usual 2+. When I fill it up, turn on the engine, and loosen the blender nipple a little water will spurt out then just air and at times steam.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Check the thermostat?

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Flushing will not clear a clogged radiator and it sounds like that's what it is. Probably new rad time. Not unusual on 900.
    The rad must be passing a small volume of water otherwise you would get no flow at all. Does any part of the rad get hot?

Honestly I'm not sure, with how sectioned off it is I haven't checked it much

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthaios93 View Post
    Honestly I'm not sure, with how sectioned off it is I haven't checked it much
    The hot water flows in across the top and is cooled as it flows down to the bottom. Put your hand on it to check the temperature. You may find cooler spots were it is clogged.

Saab(s)
    900 t16s + 9000 griffin + 900i convertible
    Paul is correct ... take the radiator out and flush it directly - chances are the flow will be rubbish.
    You will have checked the fan is kicking is?

Best wishes Steve Lewis

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    saab 9-5 two litre turbo
    im having a similar problem with my 2001 saab 9-5 it smells like its overheating but the gauge displays normal temperature,any suggestions very welcome.

gdoyle

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gdoyle View Post
    im having a similar problem with my 2001 saab 9-5 it smells like its overheating but the gauge displays normal temperature,any suggestions very welcome.

gdoyle
    Provided the gauge is working and reading correctly it's not overheating. What does overheating smell like? It may be an oil leak onto the exhaust.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    saab 9-5 two litre turbo
    its difficult to describe the overheating smell but I've come across it before more than once and its a very distinctive smell not at all like hot engine oil