Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1995 900s conv non-turbo

Mirrors, Locks.... FOB works - car chirps - locks don't!!!!

We've had a 1995 900s that we bought new in 1995. I am looking to keep it around for a long time. Working on the normal wear and team. No turbo (Sadly - no extra $$$ back then).

The mirrors have stopped responding as have the locks (trunk included).

• Mirror not working from driver side control. Switch seems to be OK based on a quick continuity test.
    • When the FOB is depressed - the car chirp (once the first time - twice the next). The LED on the dash lights up as it should.
    • When I press the FOB to open trunk - no beep.
    • When I press interior trunk release - nothing. Switch tested good.

They all stopped working at the same time. I am guessing there is a module that controls all that needs to be replaced.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Not really an advice, rather adding information to your observations, this based on looking at wiring diagrams of a 1997 900.

The module pertaining to door lock operation - and the fuel filler flap (!) - is the Central Locking Control Module (CLCM) (behind right side of the dash). The trunk (tailgate) release has its own control module (TSAS) in the trunk. The power for the mirror control switch has obviously undertaken an amendment on the wiring diagram, and new source/fuse is not given.

The CLCM is powered by two fuses, #20 and #25 in the dashboard main fuse board. Fuse #25 is as well supply for the interior trunk switch; did you check power in/out from the switch?

Provided that the wiring diagram in question is valid for your 1995 as well, are three modules (included the mirror switch) involved with regard to the culprit and at least two fuses, one of which is in common for two of your findings. But then; you may already having been looking for blown fuses.
    Last edited by 9-3 Aero; 25 May 2014 at 21:31. Reason: underlining

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1995 900s conv non-turbo
    The issue with the locks was resolved based on your advise - thanks! The fuse didn't appear to have been blown - I swapped it out anyway. Works perfectly!

I will tackle the mirrors and trunk next! I appreciate the quick response and the concise answer.

Saab(s)
    You're welcome.

With your statement "They all stopped working at the same time." on my mind, am I a lttle surprised that the fuse replacement did not kill the interior trunk release switch culprit. The #25 fuse power is supplied to the Top Slack Actuation System module (TSAS) when the switch is pressed, for the module to power the tailgate motor.

With very little knowledge of convertibles in general and soft tops in particular, can I only imagine that the purpose of this design is to interlock the trunk lid (tail gate) from being opened when the soft top is not in defined either raised - or lowered positions. Have you tried to open the trunk lid with the FOB and the switch with the soft top in either of both positions?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1995 900s conv non-turbo
    Well, more success! I pulled the trunk actuator and plugged a volt meter into the connector. When I press the fob - I get juice. Time for a new actuator. Older model - stuff probably failing at the same time.

Saab(s)
    I am happy to see this

Any (similar) progress with the mirrors?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1995 900s conv non-turbo
    Ok - bad mirror switch. Working great! The lock on the trunk
    still mocks me! Replaced switch with a a brand new switch and still won't trigger. Power at door switch but that won't release it either. Any trouble shooting suggestions? I appreciate any advise.

Saab(s)
    Clarifications would be welcomed before any suggestions, as I'm (a little) slow.

In a previous post of yours there is this statement: "Time for a new actuator". This being the switch replaced or are two parts thrown out? And: you have measured "juice" in the disconnected plug of what I understand as lock motor (actuator?)?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1995 900s conv non-turbo
    I have both the old and new. I double checked the power at the door switch +/- posts (12v). The I verfied that I lost continuity when I pressed the door switch. I disconnected the trunk switch and connected my amp meter to the connector. When I press the fob - I get a brief surge. I also get a click from under the driver's seat when I hit the fob. I have changed fuse 20 and 25. You raise a good point - what should I be seeing when I measure the juice hitting that connection? Are there points I can/should check to see if there is a drop? At almost 20 years old - I'm sure there has to be a frayed wire/loose connection somewhere in the works.

Saab(s)
    Given I understand this correctly, are you making the measurements at the disconnected plug of the trunk lock motor (actuator). Finding 12V in the plug, with no load, only means that "you have the bottle", however maybe with no "juice" = power, aka W. What I would try to do, is to make the measurement with the connected plug/connector, if feasible. If not possible to fit the probes at the back of the plug, you could stick two needles into the pins, providing good isolation - be careful - and tape the probes to them. Then try the door switch and/or the FOB and note any drop of the 12V.

If the wiring diagram (referred to in another thread) applies for MY05, you could check continuity from the (disconnected) actuator plug, pin 1 (blk wire) to chassis; should be very low / "short". Another check for continuity would be from pin 2 (grn/blu wire) of the plug, to K20 pin 18 of the TSAS, if accessible.

However, if loss of "juice" is the culprit, and as you say "a frayed wire/loose connection somewhere", ground connection would be my prime suspect.