Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2006 SAAB 9 3 Convertible X 2

Security system and the remote key problem

Problem with the remote keys. The unlock and trunk buttons does not work. If I lock with the remote the alarm goes off when I unlock the door manually but if I lock the door by pushing the lock pins down the alarm will not go off when I use the key to manually unlock the doors. I have 2 new remote keys that the dealer gave me because the old key had 2 buttons missing. I transferred the electronics to the new keys but the problem remains unchanged. Is taking the car to a dealer for reprogramming the solution here? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Thomas

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Tjenare!

Obviously has the two new keys been correctly programmed with regard to the remote control (receiver located in the CIM) - and the transponder, code stored on a chip powered by induction when inserted in the Ignition Switch Module (ISM), for mobilization of the car.

The transmitted signal for locking is obviously received by the ICM, as should the one for unlocking do as well - given it really is sent. I am a little uncertain with regard to what the meaning of the "2 buttons missing" is, could you provide some clarification? I'm a little suspicious whether the unlock buttons "engage" the electronics.

Three things to try:
    - Double press the door unclock button and watch for any change for the passenger door
    - Continously press the unlock button for comfort opening of the windows (and sun roof if valid). If it works, it confirms that the "unlock transmission" from the key FOB works partially.
    - Verify the number of keys recognized by the car, by inserting the FOB in the ignition and press the boot lid (on the FOB) once. Given number of keys is displayed, you know that transmission to the ICM is ok.

Saab(s)
    I tried all the things you suggested but nothing worked. Looks like I need to have the new keys programmed. Based on the missing buttons on the remote I am guessing the electronics are damaged.

Saab(s)
    Given the number of keys was not recognized by the car or shown on the SID, with the FOB in the ignition and pressing the boot lid (ignition in the ON position), I agree to that reprogramming is one option.

It is weird that locking works. However, the programming process includes the transponder and the remote control. According to your first post, did you transfer the electronics to the new keys, meaning programming of the keys has not been performed in one process, which could be the culprit.

Saab(s)
    Yeah, did not program. Thought I was being smarter than the dealer, lol.

Saab(s)
    I had the remotes programmed today and they work fine, at least lock, unlock, trunk and the interior light button. I am not able to lower the windows with the remote as some people on here say that they can do. I still have issues with my top so not able to lower it with the remote, yet. Something that I will once the top issue is resolved, right?
    Last edited by acuboost; 03 June 2014 at 20:15. Reason: typo

Saab(s)
    So far - so good, sort of. The comfort opening of the windows should work; by press and holding the unlock button on the key FOB the windows should start to open in approx. 2 secs. And yes, this is the action to take for lowering the soft top as well.

With regard to the soft top problem: with working FOBs, have you tried the "remedial action" suggested in post #2? Just to get rid of one possible cause for the inoperability.

Saab(s)
    So I did go out and try the 3 things you suggested. Pressing twice on the unlock only unlocks bith doors. Continuing to press does nothing to the windows. Inserting the key into ignition and pressing the boot button does nothing. I have tried these things in every possible combination I can think of. So right now I can lock, unlock doors an the trunk and turn interior and exterior lights on with the remote, panic mode also works.

Saab(s)
    Sorry for having made the confusion. The referenced post #2 was with regard to the STC control mode issue.

Saab(s)
    Lol, yes but I still don't have functioning remotes $127 later.