Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    '91 9000t

Will not shift into 5th

[FONT=verdana]I am looking seriously at a 1991 9000 turbo that will not shift into 5th. It feels as though the linkage is not lined up correctly. The car shift into 1-4 just fine, not completely perfectly but it does have 200k on it. When attempting to shift into 5th all that I get is a grinding feel and noise. My thoughts were either the Syncro is bad, which seems weird because 5th is the least used gear or the linkage is just misaligned. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]The shit lever it self is turned to the right so that the picture looks more like this:[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]1 3 5[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana]/ / /[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana]2 4 R[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]I attempted to just turn it back to the left but it was fastened tight.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]What could it be and what will it require on my part?[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]The guy will take a grand for it. Is it worth that? I am worried that I will end up having to replace a transmission. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]here's the link:[/FONT]
    https://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/4487914723.html

[FONT=verdana]Cheers,[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana]Levi[/FONT]

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1995 900s conv non-turbo
    Does it go into Reverse?

Saab(s)
    '91 9000t
    Yes, without problem.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Have a look at the shift coupler. I have had several go bad with similar symptoms.

7576416 Aftermarket - Shift Coupling - Proparts 61340142 - Free Shipping
    Last edited by jskrebs; 04 June 2014 at 10:35.

Saab(s)
    '91 9000t
    Where is that part located? How hard is it to replace?

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Its between the shifter and Transmission. Its easy to change but better accessed from below. I have changed them from the top leaning on he motor and reaching down behind the throttle body but be careful not to drop the nuts. In a pinch I also used some large wire ties one top and one bottom to temporarily secure the 2 halves together. The rubber usually tears away from one side or the other.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    FYI you can see from the top if the unit is bad. Look down behind the motor while someone shifts through the gears. May need a flashlight.

Saab(s)
    '91 9000t
    So I decided to purchase the car, hopeful and fairly confident that the issue was going to be a simple fix. I had test driven it about 20 miles on the freeway and attempted to put the car through some driving tests. It seemed to meet my criteria. The next day I met to sign over the title and bill of sale stuff.

After paying for the car I headed out on the freeway the same direction again to do some errands. Did the errands and on the way home I started not being able to put it into 4th . Then 3rd started to fail. I immediately took to the side roads and limped the car home in 2nd gear. I pulled in the garage and under the car was a nice pool of transmission fluid underneath the car. I must be made of bad luck or something.

With the car Un-driveable I am trying to contact the seller and work a deal to get my money back.

The inside is really clean though! Saab for sale $1000 obo lol anyone in Bellingham? A shop quoted me around 1500 to do a transmission replacement, so I am maybe considering that idea.
    Last edited by LevisJeanz; 07 June 2014 at 20:33.