Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Viggen
    Thumbs Up:   0

2001 Viggen - losing serpentine belts! Ideas??

This is truly vexing even my expert Saab mechanics (or so I'd thought they were all experts...) - took my Viggen in for a serpentine belt replacement, since I'd noticed cracks when I removed the MAF sensor recently. They agreed, probably a good idea. While putting a new one on, shop says pulleys look to be just a tad out of alignment but really minor - don't have to replace them. I said OK, of course. Later that day, maybe 25 miles from the shop, I heard a slapping noise - now realize it was the belt partially shredding, but it was driving OK thereafter. Two days and maybe 80 miles later and driving about 60 mph, it slapped like hell and was shredded. Got towed. Shop says must be the tensioner / pulleys. OK to replace - cut me some slack on labor and no charge for new belt. Five days and about 120 miles later, on same frigging highway, it goes again! Slapped like hell, off the side of the road, got towed. Today they say no idea what's causing it but it's probably going to happen again! ONLY idea, actually, was to change the alternator pulley, since it "looked different" from other 9-3s... Huh? Slight difference in groove, he says, only thing he can think of. I say OK, change it out (not the whole alternator). WILL this do it? How can I know?? WTF can be going on here?! HELLLP. Thanks. (One idea from my clever brother - engine mount?)

0 Not allowed!

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    Thumbs Up:   10
    Well, usually the culprit in these cases is a bad tensioner. Did they replace the entire tensioner or just the pulley?

Also, what are they using for belts? I had a belt shred on me shortly after buying the car last summer. Cords snapped in the middle of the belt and it made the same sound as yours. Previous Owner advertised the car as having a new belt. It may have been new but I tracked the partial PN on the old belt to an AutoZone belt with a one year warranty. Belt failed sooner than that!

You mechanics may have an old stash of belts for these old cars that have dry-rotted in their store room, and they are only learning of this now with your bad experiences.

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Viggen
    Thumbs Up:   0

Serpentine belts failing / pulleys...

Quote Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
    Well, usually the culprit in these cases is a bad tensioner. Did they replace the entire tensioner or just the pulley?

Also, what are they using for belts? I had a belt shred on me shortly after buying the car last summer. Cords snapped in the middle of the belt and it made the same sound as yours. Previous Owner advertised the car as having a new belt. It may have been new but I tracked the partial PN on the old belt to an AutoZone belt with a one year warranty. Belt failed sooner than that!

You mechanics may have an old stash of belts for these old cars that have dry-rotted in their store room, and they are only learning of this now with your bad experiences.
    Thanks, Roger. I'm quite sure they're using good Conti... belts and they work on a lot of these in here in Southern Maine so I doubt the belts are old. And it is my understanding they changed the whole tensioner assembly, though I'll check again. (It's still in the shop.) I called another known good Saab mechanic south of here and he was also stumped, save for human error in just installing the thing(s). The guy at the shop assured me his one mechanic in particular there is one of the best "east of the Mississippi." OK then - get it fixed, please!!! Thanks for chiming in. Good luck, JB

0 Not allowed!