Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2006 SAAB 9 3 Convertible X 2

Manually lowering the top

I have still not been able to lower the top on my car. The STC is okay, there is oil in the reservoir, and no leaks detected. Went to have remotes programed and they took a look at the but said I need to leave the car with them to trouble shot. However, the service guy said this I could try lowering the top manually since the car has bees sitting for 4 months with the top not in use and the battery dead, it may reset the sensors in the locking mechanism. Also, he pointed out that the car has been hit on the rear passenger panel and it can possibly have damaged the pump. Applying direct power to the pump was also a suggestion.

If I lower the top manually, is there any validity in what he is saying and can a closed the top manually if I lower it, or am I stuck going back to the dealer to close it?

There is no visible damage in the trunk area surrounding the pump, can impact cause the pump to fail, is there safety switch in case of accident that kills the pump? Are there any other mechanics behind the panel, or hydraulic lines that can be damages, although, one would think I should see signs of a leak in that case.

How do I apply direct power to the pump? And as Wolf said, make sure the 10 steps for lowering the top are met first.

Thanks

Saab(s)
    I went to the KIA dealer that sold me the SAAB to pick up my new plate and thought I ask a few questions about the top. Told them I bought a new STC unit and that the one that was in the car was fine according to the GM dealer that " checked" it out for me. I was told that the 2 STC units are fine. The KIA guy told be that is impossible and opened up the STC box and showed me this, a burnt board. So, did the GM tech not check the STC or is the burnt one still in working order? Who knows. I am still not ready to hand the car over the GM tech. The KIA tech and 2 sales guys say that they have seen the top work in this car. So, if the car sat for 4 months and baked in the Florida sun, battery died, they use a jump box several times to start the car - is this something that can cause the board to fry? The are of the rear passenger side is where the car was hit, anything behind there that can be part of the problem? Just thinking out loud - any thoughts out there?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by acuboost; 05 June 2014 at 22:34. Reason: Added picture

Saab(s)

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero wagon
    if jumped wrong.... would have blown a few fuses.. haven't had a lot of issues with the stc on the SS conv. pistons.. well ....lines..... sounds like the top needs to be set, if the sensors aren't in the right spots it wont run, do you have any messages on the sid? try dropping the top by hand and when it is open try the top again, car running.

Saab(s)
    It has definitely been jumped several times at the dealer because of a dead battery. The message I first got was about stuff in the trunk but that went away after I replaced the stc. No I get the open/close top completely before driving and if I try to open with the button inside it says can only be opened manually, contact Saab dealer. The car sat still for probably 4 months with a dying battery, was jumped a few times. I can see how the mechanism and sensors can be messed up but how to do something about? I read in the manual that if I open the top manually it can't be closed manually, is this true?

Saab(s)
    Also, about the fuses, I have checked what I think has to do with the top but if you have a list to work with that would be great. Unrelated, I think, the disply for the nav system is not working, although the xd and radio works from the radio head. The screen changes from black to slightly lit but nothing is displayed on the actual screen. With all the electronics could there be a relationship? Am I suposed to have an amp under the driver seat? From looking at pictures I am pretty sure it is missing.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero wagon
    What year is it, the nav units did have problems with dark displays. was the flois low at some point, look for leaks. I have one apart for the ft bow lock leaking. pm if you want.

Saab(s)
    Okay.

Saab(s)
    It is a 2006 aero 2.8

Saab(s)
    I ran in to another proud SAAB owner today, just as myself we are still looking for a reliable mechanic in Ft. Lauderdale area, lol. However he did tell me something of interest with regards to the convertible issue I am having. He told me that once a shop put in the battery that was not kicking out enough juice to run all the electronics properly. Can this be an issue with my car and the top or is this guy blowing smoke up my you know what. The battery the dealer put in after the one on the lot corroded and died is a ACDelco with 48 A 680CCA 140 RC. Is this the right battery for my car?