Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    saab 9-3 2003 2.0 turbo sedan

transmission fluid

I have a saab 9-3 2003 sedan how would I go about changing the transmission fluid? What type of fluid do I need to put on my car? Where could I purchase the fluid? Hope u guys can help thank you.

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Automatic or manual transmission? Check the tutorials in the 9-3 section of this site, there is one for the manual trans fluid. The 9-5 section has a great tutorial for the auto trans, somebody will have to chime in and let you know if that process is the same on the 9-3. When I did mine I purchased a case of fluid from Amazon.

Saab(s)
    saab 9-3 2003 2.0 turbo sedan
    Thanks for the reply captain my 9-3 is an automatic would u happen to know what would be the cost for the trans fluid ? And how many querts would I need? Any idea where I could find a owners manual for my vehicle 9-3 2003 saab? Thank u again captainmediocre

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Ok, lets see here...

You should get one of these, they are often a huge help but I will warn you that they are frustratingly devoid of certain details sometimes

Saab 9-3 Petrol and Diesel Service and Repair Manual 2002 to 2007: Martynn Randall: 9781844257492: Amazon.com: Books

The transmission fluid does not come particularly cheap but you only need to buy it once every 60,000 miles, I bought the 12 pack from amazon

Amazon.com: Mobil 1 55221 3309 Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart (Pack of 12): Automotive

Now as far as the procedure for changing it goes, that may be different for the 9-3 than it is for my 9-5, so again I'll call out for some help from any 9-3 folks who happen to be reading this. If your model doesn't have a dip-stick for checking auto trans fluid levels then you don't have a way to pour the new fluid in and you have to have it serviced at a shop.

I followed this procedure here, but again I caution that it may be different for your car

http://saabworld.net/f29/saab-9-5-au...2-3t-2-3t-474/

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero wagon
    it has a stick, its small and should be green in color. its a pain to fill you need a long funnel . a bolt holds the stick in, must get under the car to get to it. drain plug is in the center of the trans 24mm head size. you will need @ 4-6qt iirc to drain and fill. not hard just a pain to fill