Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Windshield replacement / repair

An RV kicked up some rocks while I was driving home and one aimed for my windshield.

The damage is about 1 1/2" in - 3.8 cm diameter to the outer edges of the cracks. I assume that is too big to repair, right?

Name:  P1090702.jpg
Views: 4439
Size:  28.8 KB

My insurance has full glass coverage without deductible so it won't cost me anything to replace.

Is it best to go with an OEM Saab windshield or is aftermarket better? The Saab 9-5 windshields seems to pit and scratch easily so better quality would be nice. Any brands to avoid or look for? My car has the automatic wipers with the sensor in the windshield so I am not sure if there are any aftermarket shields available.
    Last edited by nordwulf; 20 August 2010 at 21:39.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave 37 View Post
    Some glass companies might say that size is repairable. I would repair it if the location were peripheral and my current windshield was not in poor condition (average or better, I'd keep it). With no deductible, you have little to lose with a repair. If the repair fails to stop the crack from growing, you can get a new windshield.
    It's all the way on the right near the passenger A-pillar so not anywhere near my line of sight.

The windshield does have a 10" scratch caused by the bottom of the passenger windshield wiper and there are a few pits in my line of sight. I wouldn't replace my windshield just because of those but I wouldn't mind having them gone either. I'll need to check out a flew auto glass places and see what they have to say.

There are companies that will come to your home or work and replace it on site but I assume it would be be better to have it done inside at their place. Or doesn't it really matter?

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    I had mine replaced last December.
    The insurance company would not cover an OE replacement for a car older than 3 years.
    So I asked the glass guy (he does replacements in our shop for our customers) to get me the best glass he could (ended up with PPG).

During my investigation, I found out the OE glass was over $800 and not available in N/A.
    It would have to be ordered in from Sweden.

Replacement work quality was first rate.
    So far, the glass has been perfect.
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

doesn't care about 'rank' TooMany2cvs's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '90 c900 T16 - SOLD & GONE
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    The damage is about 1 1/2" in - 3.8 cm diameter to the outer edges of the cracks. I assume that is too big to repair, right?
    If it was just a chip, it'd probably be repairable - but quite possibly not optically perfect.

Given those cracks coming from it, I'd say it's toast.
    Adrian
    Soon to be living life on the road in an old VW
    http://WhereverTheRoadGoes.com

Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 Wagon LPT
    The 9-5 windshield is more vertical than other cars of the same era. My experience is that the more vertical the windshield, the more it is affected by sand, stones, etc. causing pits. I have also found that the windshield does not last as long as the car. A pitted windshield is dangerous when the car is driven towards a rising or setting sun. Be glad if you need a new one. It will come with a new, unpitted surface. The only thing I have found that improved this was a now discontinued product called STP Vision Blade. This had a two part resin in an applicator that actually filled in the pits. It was good for about a year before needing re-application.

Get that stone bruise checked out ASAP. It cannot be repaired if left for very long.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I decided to wait until after winter to get it replaced as the cracks didn't go any further.

The car is going in on Friday at a local glass shop in town. It sounds they know what they are doing so hopefully no problems. I asked what brands they use and he said he always orders the best he can get which is either PPG or Pilkington. OEM was not an option, as Scott mentioned as well. But the Sekurit OEM glass is not that good and aftermarket is most likely better.

I read the rain sensor can cause some problems after a windshield replacement but hopefully there will be none of that.
    new windshield? how i fixed my rain sensing wipers - SaabCentral Forums

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    I had a similar crack (smaller, about 2cm) in this winter and in one hour was repaired in Carglass

they said if I was not satisfied they would replace with a new windshield but it was not necessary, good job. Insurance paid.

my son replaced the windshield and he has not problem at all with the rain-sensor.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Windshield replacement went great and no issues so far. It's made by Pilkington and looks just like the OEM screen. Except for that it doesn't have any pits, scratches, marks or dirt.

Insurance company was billed $267 for the windshield, $185 labor and $50 adhesive for a total of $522.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    $185 for labor! Wow thats high! When I supplied my own glass, I was charged an even $100 for the entire job!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Frank
    Saab(s)
    He mentioned they get a certain standard reimbursement from the insurance company. It had to be at the shop for two hours so I assume the insurance company allowed for two hours @ $92.50 an hour.