Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    saab 9-3 2003 2.0 turbo sedan

saab 9-3 2003 radiator cooling system problem help!!!

My saab 2003 9-3 2.0 needs cooling light came on. I checked it didn't have any so I put some on.I went to work it came on again I turned the car off it started making a weird noise for a couple of seconds then stoped. I popped the hood it had some in the cooling system I went in to work .on my lunch I decided to check and see if it had cooling again I popped the trunk to my surprise it was empty no coolint it was empty!!! Checked for leaks nothing no sighns of leaks under the car or anything what could it be please help only car I have and I use it to work everyday. Thanks hope somebody can help.

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    As the "Coolant Level" message was displayed on the SID, and you never have seen signs of coolant under the car, the radiator and/or hoses can for the moment be excluded as suspects. As the cooling system includes the engine, turbo and the automatic transmission, could the coolant leak in one (or more) of those three areas as well.

A coolant leak into the engine oil occurs when the ("top") gasket detoriates. Check the engine oil dipstick for bubbles / traces of water / discoloration (greyish). Could cause exhaust smoke. A water leak in the turbo area would cause exhaust smoke. A leak in the automatic transmission part of the radiator could be seen as bubbles on the tranny dipstick, or by removing the valve body cover.

Given the magnitude of loss of coolant, as I understand it, are the two first mentioned areas the most likely suspects with regard to the leak.
    Last edited by 9-3 Aero; 17 June 2014 at 20:41. Reason: typo

Saab(s)
    saab 9-3 2003 2.0 turbo sedan
    @9-3aero thank you for ur reply. I just changed the oil it was normal. Today I took it to the store twice about 5 mile each way to see if it would show some signs of a leak nothing. I was told that it could be the heater bypass valve tried looking for it but I couldn't find it. A tutorial would be fantastic or a pic of how and where the part should be would be great. Thanks for all ur help.and no I'm not giving up on saab love it to much

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    I don't think you'll find a heater bypass valve in your MY03 9-3, equal to what is in the 9-5: http://saabworld.net/f29/solenoid-va...b-9-5-wis-674/. This design applies for the 900.

The coolant in- and outlets to the heat exchanger (below the instrument panel) passes through the firewall from the engine bay. Look for traces of coolant there. Given a leak in the heat exchanger / hoses from the firewall in the cabin, I would assume you could feel the smell of coolant. Look for humidity/moisture on the floors, especially on passenger side.

With regard to refill of coolant: Note that the Saab recommendation/specification is a 50/50% mixture. This provides anticorrosive additives and increases the boling point.