Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Seat belt recall for 2004-2011 Saab 9-3 convertible

Information from a GM press release:

28,789 Saab 9-3 convertibles from the 2004-2011 model years for an automatic tensioning system cable in the driver’s side front seat belt retractor that could break. If the cable were to break, seat belt webbing spooled out by the driver would not retract. The convertibles and sedans were investigated at the same time, but the convertible parts were not identical to the sedan parts. GM has since learned of customer complaints to the NHTSA for the convertibles. Dealers will replace the driver’s side retractor in the recalled vehicles. In addition, GM has issued a special coverage, so that if the same repair is required to the passenger side retractor it will be covered for the life of the vehicle. GM also extended the special coverage for passenger side belt retractors on the 2004 Saab 9-3 sedan from the original 10-year coverage to the life of the vehicle, like the convertibles. GM is unaware of any crashes, injuries or fatalities due to this condition.

General Motors | Featured News | GM.com

Saab(s)
    9-3 convertible
    HI, two days ago my driver's seatbelt failed - won't retract. There has been large scale recall for exactly this issue but on speaking to a local dealer in the UK they have said there is nothing they can do and I will be liable to pay the cost of any repair. This seems very unfair to me given almost 30,000 vehicles have been recalled - just in a different country! The car and the fault is the same as far as I'm concerned but the dealer has dismissed this stating there are different laws that don't apply here. Has anyone had anything similar in the UK? Any advice appreciated as the repair is going to cost me almost £400! Thanks

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Buy the part from the US ($100?) and have it installed there? I don't know if the right front passenger seat belt is the same as the right driver's.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    As a Saab Tech and employee of a Saab Service Center no parts or more information following the contacting customer letter have been issued. Only response we get is - it's on it's way, more details will follow.

As for Caz04 - if the UK doesn't issue/require the recall you are left on your own. The US has strict safety policies and everyone is afraid of being sued here so recalls happen. Sometimes too late and sometimes they don't cover all the same car over the years.... The whole process is rather 1/2 assed so to speak. Your best bet is to buy one and have it fitted.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com