Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    '03 9-5 Arc, '06 9-5 Sport, '08 9-5 Sedan

Improving steering feel and response on '03 9-5 Arc

I have an '08 9-5 sedan and the steering response is much improved over my '03 9-5 ARC. Are there any modifications I can make to the '03?

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Start with flushing your power steering system. Fluid gets old and crappy like everything else. New fluid makes it always feel better. Also check your tire pressure. Are the cars both using the same size tire? Tires make a difference as well in how a car steers.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    Thanks, I will try that and let you know. The tire sizes are different and I did switch and it was an improvement, but still not on par with the '08.

Kenny
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero MT
    Steering + Plus Response = Handling -

First Question: What kind of a Saab 9-5 do you want to drive?

A. Saab 9-5 with the handling of a Aero (Full Aero Suspension) - (tight response handling - medium comfort level )

B. Saab 9-5 with Aero Springs + Sach Soft struts or KONI FSD- (good response with moderate sport handling) Not as tight as Aero - But Rid comfort is like a E- class Benz

C. Saab 9-5 with Stock springs (Non-Aero) + HD rear Shocks + Stock Fronts + Poly Urethane stabilizing bushings Front and rear (Better than Stock handling - tighter feel in corners - Better than normal ride Comfort )

D. Saab 9-5 with Eibach Springs + Koni, Bilstien B8 (Super sport handling with adjustable damper) can be configure for Street or track)

Next Question: What wheels and tires am I running?

Option 1.
    16x6 Stock wheels for Arc - 215\55\R16 - 32lbs Front 35lbs Rear - Soft comfort ride - Absorbs bump - smooth feel -

Option 2.
    16x6 Stock wheels for Arc - 215\55\ R16 - 37lbs Front 42lbs Rear - A felt ride (feel the bumps a bit) A bit tighter - not so smooth feel -

Option 3.
    16x6 Stock wheels for Arc - 205 - 55- R16 - 33lbs front 36lbs Rear - Less tire role on cornering - comfort ride - good response - Tire Appearance "a bit narrow"

Option 4. `
    17x7 Aero Wheels - 225 45 R17 - 44lbs Front - 42lbs Rear - Performance grade setup - no role - tight feel - (Best setup is with Aero or Eibach Spring with sport\performance

NOW................................... Here is some examples.......................................................................

All these configuration have been tested by me on a 3.2 mile Alpine Coarse (Back Roads in my area)

Configuration C + Option 1

Avg Speed: 79 mph

Cornering speeds: High 40's Low 50's (Moderate tire role) response slightly off

Configuration D + Option 4

Avg Speed: 95mph

Cornering speeds and response : High 60's Low 70's (Insane grip and handling) performance grade response

.............................................................................................................................................................

Take the time to go over the the configuration and options. Reply back in this post and I will explain the Gains and loss of the configuration you choose.

If there is any other question about this subject please feel free to ask.

Knowledge is only gain by asking question.
    SAAB
    Keep Calm my friends
    and Apply BOOST

Saab(s)
    Thanks Kenny, your detail on this subject is incredible. I see you have a manual transmission 9-5. I've never driven one. How is the shifter and clutch on your car? Reviews I've read seem to favor the auto.

Kenny
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero MT
    The shifting and clutching is good - not SUPER sport but with minor modifications it can be great. ( GenuineSaab.com

Add Short shifter and Aero Clutch and WUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    SAAB
    Keep Calm my friends
    and Apply BOOST

Mathieu Verberne
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    I recently fitted Bilstein B6 with Aero springs, front and back, this is an improvement. The b6 are sportier then the B4 (B4 = equivalent to Sachs standard suspension).
    The Aero springs make it a bit stiffer.

But it does not stop at springs and suspensionkits.

Here are some minor things you can do to improve your driving experience (they are also on my wish lost):
    - uppur front strutbar (Speedparts Sweden - Strut brace 9-5)
    - thicker anti rol bars front and back (Speedparts Sweden - Sport Anti Roll Bar 9-5 98-) or from an Aero model, they are thicker than standard

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Hey Brian. One thing I notice that is huge when it comes to handling is the seats.
    My 03 aero holds you in place. My 04 Arc... Not so much. You end up hanging on to the wheel allot harder because you are sliding out of the seat.
    Or maybe I just drive too aggressively.
    No It's the seats.
    I have to say that I need badly to replace all the bushings in both cars. on the Aero my back tires sit like this / \ and on the Arc it rattles so much one would think it's not bolted on... (note: Check that the subframe is bolted on properly.)
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Linear Wagon, 1989 Saab 900 turbo convertible stick shift
    Hi Kenny,

thanks, that's great information. I just replaced the old front struts on a 2003 9-5 Linear 2.3t wagon with Sachs struts. Also check your bushings. Suddenly I am driving a car again and try not to steer a cow gone postal downhill over a muddy pasture.

Always make sure that you have correct pressure on the tires. Even more, the type and brand of the tire is crucial. I once drove a 3 series BMW with Bridgestone - which was heaven. For about a month (and _assumed_ savings of about €100) I had these inferior Kumho on - which was hell.