Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 ARC 2.3T wagon

Ignition switch doesn't turn completely off.

Ignition switch does not turn all the way off. Engine stops, just as it it should. However, the radio will continue playing and the 'ding, ding' alert continues and the button on the key fob does not lock the doors because, I think, the lock cylinder does not recognize that the key has been removed. I tried my second key - same results. Does this mean I need to replace the cylinder (for $90), or is there something larger (i.e more expensive) which now needs replacing ?

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I too the dogs out of my ignition. Now it turns with any key. BUT It won't start without the proper key.
    First give it a good cleaning. It probably has "stuff" in it. A lubrication couldn't hurt either.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5, 2004 9-5, 2008 9-5
    I had the same problem with my Sister's 9-5. The problem is the cylinder doesnt "pop" up when you remove the key. when the cylinder "pops" up, it tells the system the key has been removed, thus shutting off the stereo, door alarm, etc. you want to remove the cylinder, and flush it all out thoroughly with WD-40. This will get the cylinder freed up. pull the bottom plastic piece off and flush that out too... the plastic piece holds the spring in. so once you have it all flushed out, put it back together, and lubricate with some graphite lubricant, then reinstall.. oh, and make sure the lock is freed up and is "popping" back up before you reinstall it.