Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    9-3 Combisport

Purchase advice 2006 9-3

I'm looking at a '06 9-3 Combi 2.0T 85k miles and a '06 9-3 Aero Combi 75k...both in good shape...just don't know which direction to go...????

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Both are the same year, body style and about the same miles. Both the 2.0T and Aero have advantages/disadvantages so it is a matter of preference.

The 2.0T will have better fuel economy and a smoother ride. The Aero has the V6 engine which is more powerful 250hp (vs 210hp for the 2.0T) and the sport suspension. Better handling but also a bit harder ride over rough pavement. The Aero also has better sport seats and the upgraded audio for 2006. This may or not may be included with the 2.0T. In general, the Aero will have more equipment.

I used to have both a 2006 9-3 2.0T and Aero and the Aero was by far the better and more fun car to drive. You didn't mention condition, price or maintenance history and all play an important part in a purchase decision.

Saab(s)
    9-3 Combisport
    ok...so I drove the 2.0T today...$7,699, but could go for cheaper. Engine felt strong, shifted well. Braked well, but I think new pads are needed up front. Rotors weren't grooved.There was considerable road noise and some noises from under when going over bumps in road. Shocks, struts ?? I know I will get some road noise through tires and just because of the type of car, but these were something that is probably related to suspension. Has low profile tires, didn't get size. Very clean inside and out, air blows cold, stereo works well. Clean CARFAX, however 4 previous owners. Before I proceed further, having never owned a Saab, I appreciate any feedback. Good year for this model etc.

Saab(s)
    9-3 Combisport
    Last edited by dogbiteskwik; 27 June 2014 at 20:28.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    If audio is important and you don't like the current system, it is important to know it is very difficult to upgrade the sounds system on the 2003-2006 models. Dash speaker upgrades are easy though.

There aren't really any major issues with this model year and when it drives and feels good, it seems like a good car. The price seems reasonable as well.