Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 95 ARC Sedan 2009 Griffin 95 Sedan Auto, 2000 95 SE Wagon Auto.

New Crank position sensor still won't start

My 2000 95 SE Wagon turns over but won't start. New battery and I just replaced the crank position sensor. I did check the fuses. The fuel pump does come on. Car has 88000 miles, automatic trans. Anybody have any ideas. Thanks again for all your help.
    Last edited by Chazmatic; 02 July 2014 at 14:48.

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Given the fuel pump really works, is the DI cassette one (prime?) suspect. However is any thrown fault code(s) a more reliable diagnostic measure. A code reader nearby?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Sometimes the sid display says : key not excepted. It did rain hard one day and the roof leaked and there was water on and around the shifter and key area. I did have it checked by a saab mechanic and he really did not know the problem. He mentioned something about the transponder, he said something like being married to the key. i did not understand what he was talking about. I only have one key for the car. I had the car towed back to my driveway. I would think it would not be the DI cassette because when he was checking the codes it would have came up!!?? Thank you for the info and help!!

Saab(s)
    The information added of course changes the picture a bit.

Given I understand the meaning of "- 2000 95 SE Wagon turns over -" as the start motor is turning, has the antenna unit (receiver), located (around) the ignition switch accepted the transponder in the key. When the transponder code is accepted by the receiver and approved by the TWICE, the engine control module will "enable" operation of the starter motor relay and fuel system. The car is mobilised.

In case of a faulty transponder or “receiver”, mobilisation may be performed by inserting the key, turn it to "ON" and press one of the remote control buttons. See if that works, as a troubleshooting step. If it does, is the key still married to the system, and I don't see why it should not be, unless someone has messed around (?) with a Tech2 and conducted a divorce.
    Last edited by 9-3 Aero; 04 July 2014 at 22:29. Reason: added a tip

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    The car is being towed back to my driveway on Monday, I will try the key remote. Thanks again for the tech support.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 Base, 5spd
    I had a similar problem last week.

Turned out that my fuel level sensor was stuck, showing I had a 1/4 tank of gas when in fact it was empty. I spent 2 days banging my head against a wall. Decided to throw a gallon of gas in and it started right up. I know it sounds stupid, but might be worth a shot.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    OK, I'm back. Had a family problem. The key is solid black, no remote buttons. The gas tank is full. But when I fill the tank it reads empty for about 15 miles and then goes back to reading correctly. Before this started to happen, I had a middle exhaust and a rear exhaust installed. Just thought I would throw that in. The part that really bugs me is that a SAAB mechanic with 25 years know how could not figure it out. When he was checking it out, I'm waiting in the office and reading all the awards, courses etc on the walls. He didn't charge me anything. It has to be something SIMPLE because everything on the car is new: water pump. timing belt, battery, that thing on the fire wall bypass valve, CPS. The car turns over but just won't fire. I really don't understand the married- divorce thing with the ignition. Any info is golden. Thanks again.

Saab(s)
    Neither do I understand this married- divorce thing - with regard to ignition / transponder / receiver (antenna). If any of the TWICE, MIU and the engine management systems are replaced, is reprogramming required.

As stated in a post above, is the transponder code in the key accepted when the starter motor is cranking and the fuel pump is working, approval by the TWICE and a code sent to be approved by the engine management as well. If not, would the car have been immobilised, e.g. start function blocked.

Assuming the car was running after the exhaust replacements and before the water intrusion, can that be put aside for a while. Did days pass by from the rainy day until it didn't start?

The TWICE module is located on the floor under driver's seat; is there any chance at all that water may have got to it?

I am aware of your statement "- when he was checking the codes it would have came up!!??", which I understand as no codes was thrown whatsoever, correct? Anyhow would another check for fault codes be a step to take. Anyone you know of that have a reader? If so could we interprete codes, if thrown.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Yes the car did start before the rain and exhaust was done. After it rained the car would not start, but it started when I jumped it with cables. I got it home and the next day it would not start even trying to jump it. That's when the sid said : key not excepted, but now it does not say that anymore. When I turn the key it says check OK. I'm taking it to another SAAB mechanic tomorrow. I told him problem and hes going to check it out. Getting back to the TWICE module: can it be taken out and blown dry if it did get wet? Thanks again.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 AERO, 1997 900SE Turbo Coupe
    Chazmatic - I have read your sad story here, and in your shoes I would try a DI cassette from a working car. I did the same elimination tests for my 9-5 AERO (after having already replaced the fuel pump assy. and DIC) and NG900 (post fuel pump replacement) in the same week.
    The 9-5 needed a crank position sensor, and the 900 a DIC.
    Hope this helps.