Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    9-3 Combisport

check engine light...'06 9-3 Aero Combi

So, I just put a new cap on the coolant reservoir(expansion tank), drove to store, come out, start car and engine light is on. Any correlation ?

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    99% certain - nope.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    9-3 Combisport
    Will take to shop in the morning and get code. Keeping fingers crossed. Haven't noticed anything unusual in the performance, however it is my first Saab. I really love this car, but I need it to be reliable as I do a lot of travelling.

Saab(s)
    9-3 Combisport
    CEL P2187. So I've been reading up on this code and seems to be most common issue is the purge valve, but not 100%. Or maybe check valve or vacuum leak at any number of places. Do you suggest smoke test or attacking from another direction ? I did notice what seemed to be a slippage on coming back from shop as I accelerated, loss of power but was just for a moment.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.8T V6 Turbo Convertible Aero
    just some info from my experience. I have not had your CEL p2187 but you mentioned the purge valve for 2.8 v6. saab part # 12593761 . about $40 at dealer. I replaced mine last October from amazon. ACDelco 214-1685 Valve Assembly. About $18.00. Quite a few Saab parts crossover to the Cadillac line for 2.8t v6. I had Code P0496 show up. I just removed the metal mount that slides off and replaced. Check engine light went away at first start. No problems since.

Also, when changing the spark plugs, like many, the vacuum line with Venturi cracked and broke into pieces. I know I paid about $130 at the dealer. Later I learned the Cadiallac with same saab part number 12847287, was only $65 at the Caddy dealer. I just took a quick look and the Saab part seems to be really low cost now at about $35.00. The tube I had to replace was #40 in the image here. Footbrake system, Master cylinder, vacuum brake booster 6 Cylinder 4 door Convertible 5 door. Fits: Saab | Jim Ellis Saab Parts

Here is a thread on the issues and replacement if you need to do this from another source. "HOW TO" replace EVAP Purge Valve on 2.8T V6 - SaabCentral Forums not too difficult once you are familiar with the components.

Glad to see some of the part prices coming down in price instead of full list or more.

Good luck. The only check engine light I have ever had with my 06 Aero 2.8t is the p0456 purge valve. Just hit 77,777 and only other issue besides the coolant overflow bottle replacement. Pretty dependable. Other issues I really attribute to the hot Arizona heat. (batteries, tires, etc) not Saab model.

For your question, maybe read thru the link I gave and it shows you the parts and vacuum line many people discover broken or break when servicing the spark plugs. If you wiggle while engine running I bet you will notice idle changes and maybe even hear air leak if obivous line break. Otherwise, a smoke test may help. I am just a shadetree mechanic so I will let others correct me if wrong directions. Just my experience.

Last edited by simpleaz; 09 July 2014 at 23:53.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.8T V6 Turbo Convertible Aero
    I just saw your other post on finding the broken line and finding one for $2.99 at europarts. wow. great deal. I may buy one just to have backup. Good luck.
    Last edited by simpleaz; 09 July 2014 at 23:54.

Saab(s)
    9-3 Combisport
    Thanks for the info. I did see the link for the EVAP purge valve replacement. Good stuff, I ordered one of those also, $35 and change I think. Mine is a '06 also, love this car. I also found that the brake boost check valve line had come apart, I put Gorrilla glue on it, seems to be ok. I have to make a long road trip and want to feel comfortable the car is going to be ok. I just got it, 75,000 miles. Going to a ASE Saab shop in morning to have them clear the CEL and get some feedback. I'm pretty mechanically inclined also, just don't have a place to work on it right now. I used to live in Tucson, so I know all about the heat. Just the same, it's no picnic here in South Florida either. Cooling is always on my mind, so far no issues.