Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    1999 SE 9-5 2.3l

Please Help!! 1999 Saab 9-5 4cyl 2.3 Turbo (tensioner/pulleys/belt)

Please help. I purchased a used Saab. Within 24 hours, it broke down. After getting the car towed home, I noticed the serpentine belt was loose AND ripped and stripped and wrapped around some of the pulleys. I removed it, and purchased a new one. I noticed the idler pulley was missing (makes sense as to why belt fell off). So I purchased that as well. I replaced both. Car ran fine for a week. I drove to my sisters 10 miles away. When ready to leave, I started my car and heard a clunk. I opened the hood and noticed the belt was off again, and starting to tear (getting stuck behind the large smooth pulley) I purchased a new one and drove my car home. Ran fine. The next morning I started my car and noticed a rattling. I parked the car and it sounded like the rattling was coming from the tensioner. sooooo, I bought a tensioner/pulley. I took the belt off and ran the engine. no rattling. I replaced the tensioner, started the car....and the rattle is still there. it's not a soft rattle, its rather loud and gets faster with acceleration. PLEASE HELP

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Did you replace with Saab OEM or aftermarket parts? Even with aftermarket parts there are good and not so good quality. I once replace a pulley with an aftermarket part and noticed it made more noise than before. But it shouldn't be really loud though. Does the rattle come from one of the pulleys?

Saab(s)
    1999 SE 9-5 2.3l
    I bought it from Autozone.... all the parts. It sounds like the rattle comes from the tensioner, it seems to be bouncing/moving.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc; 2002 9-5 Aero
    Do you have the belt routed correctly around the crank, alternator, PS, A/C and tensioner? There is also a long and short belt option for this engine. I believe the short belt omits the idler pulley near the P/S pump, and the long belt requires it.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I'd take the belt off and wiggle the pulleys. Also check the alternator bolts for tightness. (Big Allen key needed.) Also check the bolts that hold the other things like, Power steering, air cond.
    It will help to get the pulleys if you take off the plastic guard in the passenger side wheel well.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab(s)
    01 saab aero
    Did you ever find the cause of the rattle from the pully area? I just had the idler go and left me on the road for a tow to the Firestone shop ,they replaced it for me. Only reason I trusted them is one of the mechanics worked on Saabs. This was my second belt,the first one got oil soaked from the leak around the crankshaft .

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc; 2002 9-5 Aero
    I'm not the OP, but have read that the short belt can cause problems and it is not recommended. Stick with the OEM setup which is the long belt and idler. It is supposed to run smoother and quieter. Don't know why the short would not do that. Just what I've read on a couple of Saab blogs. Don't know why one would go with the short belt other than to save literally a few bucks on the belt and the idler. I've never had a rattle on my 9-5. I did a top end rebuild and replaced the alternator, water pump and idler pulley. Did not replace the tensioner. Mine had the short belt when I bought it but it wasn't running so I don't know how it performed. I converted to long belt. Car has 200K. Have no idea if the tensioner is original. It does its job so I left it alone.