Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    87 SPG

Suggestions for Sealing Fuel Pump Assembly and / or Fuel Level Sender

I've been troubleshooting a fuel smell in the cabin of my '87 SPG for several weeks now, and believe I've narrowed it down to the fuel level sender unit...based on the significance of the odor there versus at the pump assembly and the filler neck plumbing. Does anyone have a suggestion on a way to seal it up without hunting down a rubber ring from a junker? I was thinking that it might help to run a small layer of axle grease around the ring and threads to help it seal better, but am open to other opinions.

I figure this would work the same on the fuel pump assembly as with the fuel level sender, as long as you have the new style (87.5+) with the plastic cover.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    I am having the same issue with my 85. How did you determine the fuel sender was the offender?

Wondering if silicone or removable caulking would work.

Saab(s)
    87 SPG
    Quote Originally Posted by jskrebs View Post
    I am having the same issue with my 85. How did you determine the fuel sender was the offender?

Wondering if silicone or removable caulking would work.
    I removed the rear floor and sniffed around...noted the places where gas odor was present. The only area that had a distinct smell of petrol was the level sender. I took it for a drive just to make sure, and had the same results. I'm going to pull the sender out this coming weekend and inspect the condition of the seal. I'm not sure if silicone will hold up to the vapors, but it's worth a try. I'll post back soon.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Quote Originally Posted by ninehundredt View Post
    I removed the rear floor and sniffed around...noted the places where gas odor was present. The only area that had a distinct smell of petrol was the level sender. I took it for a drive just to make sure, and had the same results. I'm going to pull the sender out this coming weekend and inspect the condition of the seal. I'm not sure if silicone will hold up to the vapors, but it's worth a try. I'll post back soon.
    The seals if not damaged do not need sealer. If fact using sealer may make future maintenance more difficult. Avoid if possible.
    Or even better; wipe the the threads and seals with silicone grease before installing.
    Last edited by peva; 19 July 2014 at 15:24.