Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2005 Arc 9-5

Missing Vac Hose ? / Broken Vac Connector

[FONT=verdana]Hi. Recently, I had to change my coolant hose that run from under the header and connected to the heat exchanger solenoid. After I had replaced the hose, I was re-checking if there are any vacuum hose that got disconnected, I found one with a "ball connector" and connected it and this is located on the far side of the heat exchanger.[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana]I had to remove the top cover (oil cap cover plate) to get a better access to the heat exchanger solenoid valve.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]I had noticed that a vacuum connection which I had not removed anything and I don't know if there is a vacumm connected to it. Pic1.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]2nd, I had found out that the vac connected is broken, I had remedied it by using loctite until I find the right part.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Is there a vac hose connected to the pic1 connector?[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana]What part is this broken vac connector?[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Thank you.

[/FONT]
    Name:  2014-07-21_0-06-09_vac1.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  2014-07-21_0-06-09_vac2.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  33.1 KB

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    From picture #1 do I assume manual transmission is in question. If so, is the Brake Booster missing, for which a hose from the connector referred to would have supplied air pressure.

As I've a hard time finding what "system" the hose/pipe and broken connector is part of, would I need a comment on which before looking for a P/N.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2005 Arc 9-5
    9-3 Aero, I have a automatic transmission. Does this mean that there is no vacuum hose connected to the port in pic#1?
    for the Broken connector, I would greatly appreciate if you know that PN if not that is fine too.
    Thanks a lot for your comment.

Saab(s)
    The 9-5 2.0 and 2.3 automatics do have vacuum pump for the servos, thus would I say the port in question looks as if the Charge Air Hose (the fat one) sometime have been replaced by a "maual tranny" one. No, the port is not to be connected in this case. The Charge Air Hose is in the EPC not drawn with this port.

Do you have full history of the car, i.e is it rebuilt from man to auto tranny? What I'm thinking of is that the port should not have been there at all, however if the engine is mapped with this port open, plugging it could have an impact on the mass air computation. But then, you could plug the connector and see / feel what happens (or not -).

With regard to the broken connector / hose: Where do they go to?

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    On both my 9-5's that thing does not have a hose. It looks just like the one in the picture.
    The broken valve you have must be replaced. It goes down to the PVC box below the intake manifold. If it's like my 04 then it connects to the dr side of the PVC box. 3 hoses in all connect to that box plus it mounts to the block via a hole in the block to allow gasses to get into the PVC box. Interesting set up... These motors create allot of pressure inside them. (I wonder if it is ring blow by accentuated by the turbo pressure.)
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2005 Arc 9-5
    Thank you for the replies.
    I will look for the PN of the part/s so I can replace the broken PVC connector, this could be a bundle of additional vac hoses and connectors. The dealer might be expensive so I hope I can find the PN and buy online. The connector looks like that it broke by time, the vacuum hose and connector looked brittle.

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    On both my 9-5's that thing does not have a hose. It looks just like the one in the picture.
    The broken valve you have must be replaced. It goes down to the PVC box below the intake manifold. If it's like my 04 then it connects to the dr side of the PVC box. 3 hoses in all connect to that box plus it mounts to the block via a hole in the block to allow gasses to get into the PVC box. Interesting set up... These motors create allot of pressure inside them. (I wonder if it is ring blow by accentuated by the turbo pressure.)
    Thank you very much for the clarification provided with regard to the "system" in question

I do believe your thoughts about pressure (related to the PVC system in particular) are correct. Saab issued a Modification Instruction (MI), which calls for fitting a tie wrap on the hose/check valve, and a spring clip on the hose from the TB. Background given: "During certain engine loads the hose between the throttle body and the crankcase ventilation pipe may detach."

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Thank you for the replies.
    I will look for the PN of the part/s so I can replace the broken PVC connector, this could be a bundle of additional vac hoses and connectors. The dealer might be expensive so I hope I can find the PN and buy online. The connector looks like that it broke by time, the vacuum hose and connector looked brittle.
    The P/N of the (broken) "Non-return valve" is in the EPC not listed, with following text: "Not as separate spare part". It is supplied as a part of the hose (-assembly), P/N 5955927, e.g. 5955927 Genuine SAAB - PCV Valve Hose - Free Shipping.

Do fit a tie wrap where the hose is attached to the valve, before replacing it. An option would be, if the old hose doesn't look to bad, to use only the check valve, note the direction (open towards the TB).

BTW: Most likely is/are fault code(s) thrown, as there is a number of them pertaining to leakage(s) in the crankcase ventilation system.

Saab(s)
    01 saab aero
    I don't know for sure but I replaced the crank and oil pump seals and I don't have the upgraded pcv setup yet so as to keep from blowing seals I drilled a hole for a nipple in the oil filler tube ran a hose to my air filter to release any extra preasure seems to work without any problems