Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 93 2.0T Coupe

Intermittent no-start

Hello from the newbie to the forum!

I have an ever-popular problem.... the intermittent problem.

Here's the "story".

2006 93 2.0T coupe. Starts and runs fine every time from cold. After being driven, will sometimes not start, but will re-start after sitting for an hour or two. I have never been in the car when it fails, so it has been difficult to troubleshoot. My ODBII scanner is not seeing any codes, however it is not connecting properly to the vehicle electrically, just tells me that it is not able to scan the port.

Fuel pump sounds fine, and gives 43Lbs to the rail.
    would like to find the pump relay to look at it, but can not find location or number? Can anyone assist with this?

Just starting to look, and I know there are a LOT of un-answered questions.... hopefully it will fail when I am around to check for spark and fuel pressure so that I have a better baseline.

Also, car is giving a traction control error. I saw one thread regarding this, but it didn't seem to have resolution to the problem.

Jim

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 93 2.0T Coupe
    Just tried my scanner and got a successful link. There is one saved code, PO 725 Engine Speed Input Circuit.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 93 2.0T Coupe
    Ok, in light of that code, I think we can safely say it is the Crank Position Sensor????

Can anybody provide me with a picture or two on it's location and a tip or two how best to get at it?

First time under the hood of a SAAB, so I am temporarily lost.

Thanks

Jim

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    I found a write up on "that other saab forum" that looks like it would help you. I'm not sure if posting a link to a different forum would violate some law of internet tact, but if you google search for "saab 9-3 crank position sensor replacement" you will see what I mean.

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Quote Originally Posted by bam_bam1ca View Post
    Ok, in light of that code, I think we can safely say it is the Crank Position Sensor????

Can anybody provide me with a picture or two on it's location and a tip or two how best to get at it?

First time under the hood of a SAAB, so I am temporarily lost.

Thanks

Jim
    I agree with you that CPS replacement is a good place to start. However is "Gearbox warning lamp lights in MIU", "Message appears in the display" and "Limited shifting function" listed as a fault symptoms that goes with the P0725 code.

The WIS gives two replacement procedures for the CPS, one "easy" 5 step removal and fit, pertaining to the 2.0T 175Hp engine, and another one for the "HOT" Aero. The procedure and corresponding drawing could be posted, on your request - given you confirm engine in question.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 93 2.0T Coupe
    Hello.

Nothing in the MIU except for traction control inoperative warning (no gear box warning or limited shifting).

It's a 2.0T 175Hp.

Saab(s)
    The "text" of the P0725 71 is "Engine speed. Bus data unreliable", and is one of the (Automatic) (TCM) codes. However, as the engine management system sets the speed signal invalid on the bus when the self-diagnostics detect a fault on the CPS, and as you've don't see the other symptoms, this at least points towards the CPS.

The WIS procedure with regard to CPS replacement for a MY06 9-3 2.0T (175hP):

Crankshaft position sensor (345)

To remove

1. Remove the upper engine cover.
    2. Remove the crankshaft position sensor.
    3. Unplug the crankshaft position sensor connector.

To fit

1. Plug in the connector and fit the crankshaft position sensor with a new O-ring sparingly lubricated with Vaseline.
    2. Fit the upper engine cover.

Name:  MY2006 9-3 2.0T CPS replacement procedure.jpg
Views: 2386
Size:  37.5 KB

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 93 2.0T Coupe
    OK, so it has been a week, and no further problems or codes, so I think that this was a success.

That sensor sure is a PAIN to get at around the starter or the wire harness!

As a curiosity, she did say that she saw a gearbox malfunction error almost 6 months ago, but it has not re-appeared.

Thanks much 9-3 Aero.

Jim

Saab(s)
    Your're welcome

I do hope the current situation will last