Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t manual
    Thumbs Up:   1

I Just bought 2006 9-3 2.0t (manual) and I need some advice

Hey guys,

So I had this long debate whether I should sell my 1999 9-5 and go with the 2006 9-3, and eventually I bought the newer one. I'm all excited now because the car is absolutely gorgeous; however it has its ups and downs. It is idling inconsistently, AMP1 is not working (which means turning signal sound and car radio are out as well), and I think I will need to replace sway bar end links.

So here are my questions and I hope that some of you had experience you can share

1. What is the cheapest way to fix AMP1 and get radio back online?
    2. Can cruise control really fail if AMP1 doesn't work (that's what the previous owner told me)?
    3. Why does the car idle at inconsistent RPMS? It hovers around 1000, but drops down to about 700, and it can also go up to about 1200-1300.
    4. Can I use LC20 oil additive and Auto RX to really clean the engine? It has a ticking/clicking sound to it.
    5. What would be the cheapest way to obtain a replacement key? I have only one key right now.
    6. And the weirdest part: previous owner claims he replaced all the brakes and rotors, but since then ABS, traction control, and airbag failure lights have been lit. I think ESP is up there but I'm not sure. If this is true, how can I fix them?

Please read this amazing write up about cleaning the inside of the engine with Auto RX and LC20 combined, and tell me if you think this might (or might not) work:BG Engine Purge vs. Auto-RX | Oil Additives | Bob Is The Oil Guy (Author is JohnBrowning )

I am really excited about this car. It's my second car ever, and its a second Saab I'm looking forward to fixing all of the things above and then sharing photos/ideas about the procedure(s).

Thanks,
    Dan

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Dsvorc41; 27 July 2014 at 12:59.

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Thumbs Up:   4
    1. I don't think AMP1 is the problem, e.g. is the turning signal sound governed by the ICM, and purpose of AMP1 is driving the speakers in the front doors. SaabRadio.com might be a source, which a poster on one of our national forums quite recently used for repair of an AMP1 - and was happy with the outcome. You could call them. Note the link http://saabworld.net/f8/no-radio-no-...nection-29477/. The problem could as well be on the O-bus.

2. Cruise control (CC) does by no means have any relationship with AMP1. Problems with the ESP/TCM system (wheel speed sensors?) will disable CC, and I do believe so will a problem with the idle speed as well.

3. The car could idle at inconsistent RPMs for many reasons, one of them being the crankshaft position sensor, another one throttle body, air mass sensor etc. The idle speed of your car should be 720 RPMs.

4. I would never use any additives to "clean engine", but perform remedial actions when having problems, rather than "paintbrush" them.

5. The cheapest way to obtain a replacement key is to buy a new one, and have it programmed by the use of Tech2. Note: Keys that have been programmed for one car cannot be reprogrammed for another car.

What we did, when we now bought a used car for the first time in "many cars", was to get a diagnostic trouble code readout, as a part of the measures to get an overview of "what's going on". Maybe an idea?

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 Aero, Thank you! I really appreciate your advice. I'm planning to get a computer readout pretty soon. Now that the car has been with me for a couple of days, I identified my top priority to fix. It wasn't on this list originaly, but I should have been.

I have this weird tapping/clicking noise coming from the top of the engine. The noise is very consistent with RPMs. After the car reaches 2500-2700 RPMs the noise is no longer recognizable, but I'm sure its there. Its most prominent when the engine is idling. I am assuming this noise has to do with valves, but I am not sure how to approach it. Should I take the valve cover off and check the valves?

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Thumbs Up:   4
    As I'm having little experience with the engine, do I hope somebody who has can chime in on this one. Sorry.

The only thing which comes to my mind is oil quality and not at least type, which could be in question as you've had the car for only a short time, maybe without full history.

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 Aero, thank you for your reply. I'm definitively going to perform an engine flush, I'm just not sure what to use yet. Engine flush is supposed to clean the valve lifters(tappets) if they are sticking. After the flush, I'll change the oil, filters, and spark plugs. If that doesn't work then I'll have to change the lifters (if I identify the exact ones that are ticking).

There is no write ups on this, but I was thinking about dropping the oil pan and cleaning it thoroughly after I do the flush. If anyone did this, please share your thoughts. How different the procedure is for older (1999 for example) engines and the newer 2.0T?

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    01 saab aero
    Thumbs Up:   0
    about the abs lights If it needs rebuilt I sent mine to BBA reman they did the job on it, took about a five day turn around. Hooked it up and all those lights went out.

0 Not allowed!