Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2006 SAAB 9 3 Convertible X 2

Soft top cover hydraulic access, can't find a DIY. Need help please

2006 93 Aero Convertible, obviously. I need to figure out if it is a hydraulic line or the cylinder that is leaking oil but I can't figure out how to get to it. Has anyone dealt with this and have a DIY handy or is this a dealer job?

Thanks for any advice,

Thomas

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Take a look at "Saab 9-3 convertible - cabriolet soft-top system", to get an overview, as a start, of the Hydraulic system and Hydraulic lines: http://saabworld.net/f146/saab-9-3-c...-system-26204/.

I've seen threads where owners successfully have been working on the hydraulics, so at least an inspection to see what's up should be manageable.

Given steps like "Remove Luggage compartment side trim, CV" e.g. seems to be a challenge, does the WIS contain separate procedures for removal, and could be posted on your request. If so, beware that some of them will require some work to adapt for posting, so kindly, be "sober".

Go for it it - and good luck

Saab(s)
    Thank you

Saab(s)
    2005 9-3 Liner Convertible
    My wife's 2005 9-3 Linear convertible has also developed a leak from the drivers side hydraulic cylinder. I can fill the reservoir and get the top cover to open up over the trunk lid and then I stop it. Looking just inside of the fender well I can see that cylinder leaking really bad. Has anyone found where to buy a replacement convertible top hydraulic cylinder? I'm not having any luck. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    ~Steve

Saab(s)
    I found them for $200 rebuilt. Send yours in and they send it back. Will send the link in a few hours. I have also found a guy that will do the work for $200 but I would like to do it myself if I can.

Saab(s)
    Thanks acuboost. I just found it also from this forum.
    Saab 9-3 (93) Aero & Arc Left Main Lift Cylinder 2003-present Rebuild Service - send in your own cylinder first - Top Hydraulics, Inc

Good stuff. Glad to hear I can still get them rebuilt. Now the question is do I just do the one and wait for others to fail, or repair all 7 at once.

Saab(s)
    Yeah, that's the one. I am guessing the process of removing any of the cylinders is basically the same, except for the hardware depending on which cylinder is removed.

I keep reading that the soft top cover can not be locked once manually opened, any idea on how to work around that or is it not an issue while driving until the rebuilt cylinder is returned? I get daily rain and park outside so this can be an issue if there is any water leakage.

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s_chev View Post
    Thanks acuboost. I just found it also from this forum.
    Saab 9-3 (93) Aero & Arc Left Main Lift Cylinder 2003-present Rebuild Service - send in your own cylinder first - Top Hydraulics, Inc

Good stuff. Glad to hear I can still get them rebuilt. Now the question is do I just do the one and wait for others to fail, or repair all 7 at once.

Yeah that's the one. Looking at the DIY for the first bow cylinder I am guessing the process is the same for the soft top cover cylinder, except for the different parts attached depending on location of the cylinder. I keep reading that if the soft top cover is opened manually it can not be locked manually, is this really the case or is this just another way to get you to the dealer? Do you or anyone know of any workaround for this or is driving with the cover unlocked not a problem until the refurbished cylinder returns? The daily rain out here can be an issue if it leaks.

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acuboost View Post
    Yeah that's the one. Looking at the DIY for the first bow cylinder I am guessing the process is the same for the soft top cover cylinder, except for the different parts attached depending on location of the cylinder. I keep reading that if the soft top cover is opened manually it can not be locked manually, is this really the case or is this just another way to get you to the dealer? Do you or anyone know of any workaround for this or is driving with the cover unlocked not a problem until the refurbished cylinder returns? The daily rain out here can be an issue if it leaks.
    If you still have one of the extensive manuals, you should find how to open and close it manually. I had to do that and it would lock just fine manually. There are some steps to it, but it's all laid out in the manual if you have it. If not, I can pull up the info when the wife gets home.
    ~Steve

Saab(s)
    I have a manual that talked about the emergency opening of the top and at the end it say something about the soft top cover can't be locked manually. If this is the extensive manual or no I don't know. I have an online manual from Manual Owl and on page 73 is the bit about it. 2006 Saab 9-3 | Owner's Manual - Page 63

It sounds like you have the big book on this one and I would greatly appreciate the info.

Tom

Tom