Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc; 2002 9-5 Aero

Suspension issues, but what are they?

My 2004 9-5 Arc has nearly 200K miles. I bought it at 192K and did some serious engine work to get it going. So I'm driving daily now, and have some suspension issues I'm having trouble identifying. When I hit a bump in the road, especially on a curve, I can hear clunking in the rear of the car, and the entire rear end feels like it is shifting in the outward direction of the curve. I don't have to be going very fast for it to do this - 20mph will do it. At faster speeds it feels very unstable. I'm sure there are a few worn out parts back there, but I know very little about suspensions and how to diagnose them. I would appreciate suggestions on where to start looking? Or should I have one of the local tire joints/wrenches put it on a rack and give me a diagnosis? I prefer to do the work myself if possible. I don't have a press or a lift, just more time than money, jack stands and a garage full of most mechanic hand tools known to man. Thanks guys.

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    How do the springs and dampers look in the back, any fluid leaking out the dampers? Any dry rot on the various bushings and bits back there? On a 10 year old car with serious miles, I am willing to bet the dampers and springs could stand for an update.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    You need new shocks. May as well get the whole strut as our cars are known to have saggy springs.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc; 2002 9-5 Aero
    I hit a big pothole on a left turn tonight with the RR tire and thought the whole back end of the car was going to fall off. Huge clunk and shudder/shift. I am going to put the rear on jack stands this weekend and see if I can see anything - leaks, bad bushings, etc...