Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 Saab 9-5 Aero SportCombi

B235e Engine in an 03' Aero

Hey there everyone,

This would be my first post here for help. I have a 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero with about 84k miles on it. I bought it used and it ended up having oil starvation issues and the engine is now dead... I absolutely LOVE this car and am looking forward to learning and understanding how to actually care for it properly.

Anyway, to the situation. I've been doing a whole lot of reading all over the place on how engine swaps work and the types of engines and all the various changes throughout the years and how it all comes into play with everything. To my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, my Aero has the B235r engine in it and that engine has the Mitsubishi TD04 HL15t turbo on it along with all the other "Aero" goodies. What I've also seemingly discovered is that post 2k the only real differences between Linear and Aero [engine-wise] is the turbo and ecu tuning.

So herein lies my question. Can I put a post 2k B235e engine [since they are substantially less expensive] in my 2003 9-5 Aero and just re-attach the Mitsu turbo and keep the current ecu with no [or minimal] difficulty, or is this a big "no-no"?

I greatly appreciate your help! Let me know if there is any information missing that would be helpful. Thanks!

Saab(s)
    01 saab aero
    I am interested also , are you ptting the turbo from the aero or linear and is it allgoing to bolt up and the ecu all the connections the same? I have a 01 aero and in the event i would love to know how it goes.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 Saab 9-5 Aero SportCombi
    So I didn't end up doing this. I just sold the 03' 9-5 Aero for $800 about 4 years ago, and then last week I bought an '08 9-5 Aero SportCombi and LOVVVVE it! Anyway, Thanks for the interest!