Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    None

2005 Saab 9-5 ARC advice

Greetings, we are looking at a 2005 9-5 Arc with 87K miles to purchase for our teen age daughter. Didn't realize that Saab is no longer in production so would this be a idea? The car seems in pretty good shape...

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Parts for the 9-3 and 9-5 are usually not an issue. The 2005 9-5 with the 2.3T engine is reliable as long as it is serviced and maintained properly. But that goes for any car. It may be a bit more difficult to find a local mechanic that wants to work on a Saab but generally shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure a good handling car with 220hp is such a good idea for a teenager with limited driving experience because it can be pretty fast, especially in Sport mode (I assume it's an automatic). On the other hand, FWD, ESP and ABS makes it a safe car to drive.

Check out this thread for some more information about the 9-5: http://saabworld.net/f9/saab-9-5-buyers-guide-693/

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    Parts for the 9-3 and 9-5 are usually not an issue. The 2005 9-5 with the 2.3T engine is reliable as long as it is serviced and maintained properly. But that goes for any car. It may be a bit more difficult to find a local mechanic that wants to work on a Saab but generally shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure a good handling car with 220hp is such a good idea for a teenager with limited driving experience because it can be pretty fast, especially in Sport mode (I assume it's an automatic). On the other hand, FWD, ESP and ABS makes it a safe car to drive.

Check out this thread for some more information about the 9-5: http://saabworld.net/f9/saab-9-5-buyers-guide-693/
    Wulf, thanks for the insight, I will check out the thread. Heck I might keep the car for myself and let her drive the Camry.

Saab(s)
    01 saab aero
    That's a great idea. At 59 going with my wife and step daughter shopping a used car for her , I noticed a Saab and got it for 2 grand. An 01 9-5 Aero 2.3 for a go about car. I tell ya once you get in the seat you don't want to get out alot of fun to drive .

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I had a Camry as a rental car in Florida a few years ago. Compared to my 9-5, everything felt numb and unresponsive in the Camry. Couldn't wait to go home and enjoy driving again. Depending on the year of your Camry, the 9-5 is smaller than the Camry. But that is also part of the reason the 9-5 is more fun to drive.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Give her the Camry! You will love the SAAB!
    I got my first SAAB for my wife... Then I sold my truck and got another for her! I kept the first one for myself.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    Give her the Camry! You will love the SAAB!
    I got my first SAAB for my wife... Then I sold my truck and got another for her! I kept the first one for myself.
    Well....I am driving the Saab. Need to do some minor work on it, clock always seems to reset when I start it, but like the way it handles. Next question...any recommendations for upgrading the car stereo to Bluetooth/hands free calling?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1974 99 , 2003 9-5 Arc, 2006 9-5 Sport (daughter's)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spursdad View Post
    Well....I am driving the Saab. Need to do some minor work on it, clock always seems to reset when I start it, but like the way it handles. Next question...any recommendations for upgrading the car stereo to Bluetooth/hands free calling?
    I went this route and am very pleased. http://saabworld.net/f29/line-input-...e-input-28000/

See my post on the last page about the bluetooth adapter I used
    http://saabworld.net/f29/line-input-...html#post60935