Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 95 Sport

later bad fuel pump options? [2006 9-5 sport]

hey, my wife's 06 9-5 sport fuel pump failed, no OE units and no aftermarket units available... anyone replace just the pump with something else? -Andy

Saab(s)
    900 Turbo, 9-3 SE, 9-5 Aero
    This is the original insert. It's sold as a Bosch, but it is actually a Wahler fuel pump.

If you are handy you could replace the insert and save some $$. It's not difficult to replace.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-69424-Or.../dp/B000JZCZWM

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 95 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 900Aero View Post
    This is the original insert. It's sold as a Bosch, but it is actually a Wahler fuel pump.

If you are handy you could replace the insert and save some $$. It's not difficult to replace.

Amazon.com: Bosch 69424 Original Equipment Replacement Electric Fuel Pump: Automotive
    THANK YOU!!! .... this is exactly what is am looking for...and it is in stock right down the street from my office... I will update everyone once installed.... pump replacement will be easy...i just am not looking forward to dropping the tank... -Andy

Saab(s)
    Oops! It's a Walbro pump no Wahler.

UM, don't you have access under the back seat???

Also, ran across this procedure that includes how to replace the insert.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=190466

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 95 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 900Aero View Post
    Oops! It's a Walbro pump no Wahler.

UM, don't you have access under the back seat???

Also, ran across this procedure that includes how to replace the insert.

Replacing Fuel Pump in 9-5 Wagon - SaabCentral Forums
    there is the access plate for the electrical connections for testing, but this car 6/2006 production has the later style pump with the heat-shrink lines that you disconnect down the line, not enough room to remove from the top...stupid engineering design choice.... that link is the earlier style, hoses come off the top of the pump assembly...but since it is just a pump it should not be too hard to retro-fit [ i know, i know i just jinxed myself] - Andy

Saab(s)
    did not know they went to the lame 9-3 design. Anyway, if you don't feel like dropping the tank, I ran across this thread. I may do this with my 9-3 when it needs a new pump.

Replace the fuel pump photo essay - SaabCentral Forums
    Last edited by 900Aero; 06 September 2014 at 16:48.

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Quote Originally Posted by abnrmlbmw View Post
    there is the access plate for the electrical connections for testing, but this car 6/2006 production has the later style pump with the heat-shrink lines that you disconnect down the line, not enough room to remove from the top...stupid engineering design choice.... that link is the earlier style, hoses come off the top of the pump assembly...but since it is just a pump it should not be too hard to retro-fit [ i know, i know i just jinxed myself] - Andy
    Did you check 12757165 - OEM Saab Parts ? At least they don't, like other suppliers, note "backordered".

According to the WIS procedure regarding fuel pump, MY06 (even for MY07 if that matters), is the replacement done without dropping the tank.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 95 Sport
    well...that pump went in..and the car starts and will idle smooth, but under load it stumbles and stalls....back to the searching, thanks for the links...and this is the later style with the metal lock ring and fixed lines at the top of the assembly, and not able to be removed without dropping the tank, unless you cut a lot of sheet metal....and dropping the tank a second time will be easier now.....-Andy

Saab(s)
    Do you have a 2nd DIC you could put in to see if that makes a difference? My daughter's 9-3 did the same thing, it was the DIC but there were to codes.

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Absolutely no idea if this one would work or not, but Maptun Performance - Tuning for your Saab lists this fuel pump as the one that they use for their 345hp tune on the 9-5
    Amazon.com: Walbro GSS341 Fuel Pump: Automotive

If this pump is more powerful than stock it might also require a different pressure regulator and maybe even some software tweaking to make it work right. Again, no idea if this will work I'm just thinking out loud really.

I haven't had to deal with a fuel pump issue yet and I really hope I don't have to.