Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab 9-3 EV test drive by Elbilen Sverige

An article published by Elbilen Sverige and translated through Google:

We test drive Saab 9-3 EV Conclusion: This could be big

Name:  DSC_5985.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  74.5 KB

The electric car magazine in Sweden was the first newspaper in Sweden the opportunity to test drive the electric car Saab 9-3 in Trollhättan 3 September.

In glorious late summer weather with plus 21 C on the temperature gauge in the car, I come to the big factory located Stallbacka we Göta River and Lake Vänern. County I come in a burgundy Tesla S, the beast among electric cars and all elbilsentusiasters wet dream.

Now I have the chance to compare the two electric cars. But the comparison limps away, the Tesla S sold worldwide since more than a year while 9-3 EV is a prototype. But both cars are future-oriented and driven fossil-free, but exhaust and carbon emissions.

I will meet at the main entrance of Communications Mikael Östlund and project manager for Saab electric cars, Anders Björnberg. There is also the black beauty on charge.

The building is reflected in its shiny and gleaming bodywork. Soon I'll sit behind the wheel.

The technology of the new Saab 9-3 EV

Name:  DSC_0153.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  121.1 KB

Before test driving the car says Anders. The drivetrain comes from American AC Propulsion in California, as well as motor, inverter and the entire electronics package. The engine is 150 kW but limited to 100 kW and 140 hp. It is being worked on adapting the car to the higher power.

In the production version, it will be a different powertrain. The prototype has an air-cooled system for both battery and engine, serial production will be water-cooled. Brake reversal that gives energy to the battery remains to develop.

The proprietary battery of 37 kWh prototype comes with a higher output version of the series, says Anders, not bigger but packed more tightly. Here Saab / Nevs a great advantage, the battery is manufactured in the main owner Kai Johan Jiang Annual National Modern Energy Holdings in China. It is aiming for a reach of over 30 mil.

Gear compilation is as usual PRND, parking, reverse, neutral and drive, with snaps. Gear lever in the 9-3 Aero did not work. In the finished version, it will be a different system. The dashboard will be adapted to electric drive, with meters on consumption, range, reversal of energy and so on, the job remains to be done.

In Orio AB, formerly Saab Parts, the aftermarket company, occurs together with diagnostic tools, spare parts, training of staff in workshops and documentation.

Now to the actual test run.

We make for the 2.3 km long velodrombanan behind the main building. It carries Anders first few laps before I take over the wheel. The course begins with two sharp curves limited to 70 km / h then follows a long straight followed closely by the velodrome with steeply inclined road. Here you can run at 120 km / h the whole way. The start is dramatic, but very tough.

Anders says that drag mode is not fully developed, but once up to speed it goes fast. I can, of course, 120 km on the straight but on the first lap in the velodrome will be barely 120, but on lap two, it is better, then I think the momentum is kept uppe.z

The car is very quiet here I can make a direct comparison with the Tesla S, Saab car is much quieter at all speeds. Almost no road noise is heard, only a slight murmur. Tesla is clearly more vocal because of högfartsdäcken. Saab has regular tires, no special low-friction tires. It will be understood in the serial version.

The brakes are well adjusted. Deceleration are progressing very smoothly. After some of which around the track, it is really fun to draw on, the car responds nicely after the first "toughness." The 1800 kg heavy car does 0-100 in 10.0 seconds. The goal is to reach 8.5 seconds, says Anders. When we stopped the car, the fan that cools the battery and engine at full speed.

9-3 EV has come a long way in the development to the finished car. A lot of jobs åsterstår, but it feels like the car can become something big. The car is going steady, respond very well to all the maneuvers and braking. Despite the lack of money and production stoppages in progress development of the car in full. We keep our fingers crossed that the problems with the economy will solve as soon as possible.

I hope that's not wishful thinking, but the car has to be ready for production in the near future. Clearly, however, it will not be this year. 9-3 EV can definitely be something big.

Name:  DSC_0168.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  100.4 KB

Range of 300 kilometers beds for success

It circulates a lot of rumors that General Motors is coming out with a 200 km-car. That is a car with more than 300 kilometer range. While Nissan will be in the starting blocks for such a model. It is the next generation of electric cars, which will definitely broaden the market.

Now confirms Saab electric car in Sweden that's where they are aiming. The battery pack in the Saab is in the current situation 37 kWh, but there's room for more, according to Mikael Östlund at Nevs.

- Interior and luggage is intact, we have built up the batteries under the back seat, and where the fuel tank used to be, and between the axles, he says.

- The car will have a range of 30 mil in series version, then we will have more efficient batteries.

As fast charger will the European standard CCS to be used for cars sold in Europe.

Saab can get the car within a reasonable time with a reasonable price tag is the terrible well against its competitors.

Name:  DSC_0154.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  92.4 KB

TEXT: Orjan Hedblom
    Elbilen | Vi provkör Saab 9-3 EV Slutsats: Det här kan bli stort

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    högfartsdäcken = high speed tires
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo