Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '08 9-7x

Clutch cable replacement

Hi all, I haven't posted in a while as my car has been working fine, but my clutch cable just broke and I had to limp home and here I am. The car is a '96 900 convertible with a 2.0 liter turbo.

How difficult is it going to be to replace the cable? It seems pretty inaccessible, hard to see and buried under brake master cylinder and whatnot. Will I have to take other parts out to get at it? I don't have a shop manual for the car--if I buy one, does it contain good instructions for this task?

TIA

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    97 SAAB 900NG turbo
    Since you need to fix it.. might as well upgrade to the hydraulic clutch kit.. I did on my 97 way back in 2002 and never had a problem since.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '08 9-7x
    Well, I still haven't fixed it...too busy with work. How hard was the hydraulic kit to install? Did it come with good directions? Did you have to take apart the master brake cylinder to reach the mounting point?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    97 SAAB 900NG turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Lobster View Post
    Well, I still haven't fixed it...too busy with work. How hard was the hydraulic kit to install? Did it come with good directions? Did you have to take apart the master brake cylinder to reach the mounting point?
    It came with directions.. but I ended up having the same shop that installed my LSD and new clutch.. since they were already going to be in there.. anyway. You can pick one up from Nick at Genuine.. http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files...lic+clutch.pdf..

sucks to have that old cable break on you in the middle of the highway.. so I converted to hydraulic

cable replace

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Lobster View Post
    The hydraulic kit is an expensive and difficult job . . . the cable is much, much cheaper and easier. You can check it out on the Platonoff site to see all the pictures of the conversion job which also will give you details on how the cable fits. The conversion takes a whole new pedal that's well beyond putting in a new cable. I'd start there unless you're doing a long-term rebuild of the car.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    97 SAAB 900NG turbo
    you might find one cheaper in a salvage yard.. or from a 98 to use.