Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90

A wheel fell off my wagon.

All I needed after finishing a break job and new rear shocks on my 03 9-5 Wagon this morning! I even painted the calipers red!
    Jasmine and Moosey and I were on our way to a University football game when it happened. I was passing slower traffic and when I merged back onto the sidewalk it happened. The front drivers side sheered right off! Oh well the wheels were old anyway. I just locked it up and left it on the side of the road until after the game.
    We didn't let that ruin our day though. We had fun!
    After the game I nursed the wagon home on 3 wheels with Jasmine and Moosey as ballast in the back to keep what was left of the rim off the ground.
    I'm going to pick up new wheels this week and it will be as good as new.
    You never know what your going to get into when Moosey is around!
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    That's nuts! Glad no-one was hurt.

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    The moral of this story is: never take a break when working on a brake

The important part is that Moosey didn't get hurt; what a tragedy that would have been

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    oh. When I first read this on my phone I didn't see the pictures, I didn't realize that by wagon you actually meant...wagon.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I replaced all 4 wheels on the wagon today. It was a daddy daughter project.
    After work I went to Princess Auto and got 4 new wheels @ $5.99 each. (Not sure why these aren't sold in packs of 4... Probably lower margins on 4 packs of wheels.) I stayed with the same size 7" instead of getting any bigger. I did look at 8" ones but the arbor hole was bigger than I needed.
    I'm glad I got the 4 of them instead of just the one or two I needed as the plastic was very old and brittle on the other wheels too. One of the rear wheels was even missing some plastic around ware the rim meets the rubber.
    I had a heck of a time removing the push nuts to get the old tires off. Any other time I have just twisted them and pulled and they would come right off. Not these ones! They were on really well. I ended up using a flat screwdriver and a hammer to bend the outer lip of the push nut ware the tabs are and then twisting and pulling worked.
    I cleaned the axles and greased with marine grease. (All I had on hand. ) I think the marine grease is a good choice as this wagon stays outside in everything.
    We had to make a hardware store run for new push nuts because the old ones weren't quite the same after I whacked them with the hammer. I did straiten them out but wasn't happy with how easily they went on. Don't want to loose another wheel sometime.
    This wagon is kind of old. I don't know exactly how old but I know they don't make them like this anymore. We have only had it for a couple years. I found it on the side of the road one day in 2 pieces. It had been left outside for years and had rotted apart! I picked it up and threw it in the van knowing that I could easily make a new wooden box frame part.
    I was on my way to the shop and whipped up the wood box part in about 10 min. I used 1" laminated pine to build it. (One of my guys had left it at the shop. I asked him to get rid of it the week before. So that's ware I got the wood from.) Worked perfectly. I got rid of some clutter in the shop and Jasmine got a new wagon.
    I'm not responsible for the paint job. That was Jasmine and Elise from next door.
    The test drive didn't go quite how I wanted it to. I wanted to ride in the wagon but the little girl doesn't have enough strength to pull me... So she rode in the wagon while I pulled. Now it pulls easier with the new wheels and greased hubs.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com