Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE

Purchasing another Saab... Which one?

I'm in the market for another Saab and I'm having a hard time deciding which one:

I really like the '06 and newer 9-5 2.3 Sport front ends, but I'm not sure the interior is an improvement from '05 and older 2.3 Aero models.

As far as I can tell the newer 2.3's are more powerful and quicker than the 6 cylinder 3.0's, with about 60 hp more with the 2.3... Right?

Durability is also a factor.

Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    I would personally avoid the 3.0t V6 9-5 cars. The 2.8T "Aero" 2010 and 2011 9-5 were way better. The 2.3 had 3 performance levels. Linear in the early years which was a light pressure turbo (lpt) ARC which was the slightly detuned full pressure turbo (fpt) and the Aero which was the top of the line. Each car had it's own options however so you could in theory find a nicer linear than an Aero for much less money - but it won't be as quick or as nice aesthetically. If the budget allows it - I'd search out a rather loaded up Aero.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    I would personally avoid the 3.0t V6 9-5 cars. The 2.8T "Aero" 2010 and 2011 9-5 were way better. The 2.3 had 3 performance levels. Linear in the early years which was a light pressure turbo (lpt) ARC which was the slightly detuned full pressure turbo (fpt) and the Aero which was the top of the line. Each car had it's own options however so you could in theory find a nicer linear than an Aero for much less money - but it won't be as quick or as nice aesthetically. If the budget allows it - I'd search out a rather loaded up Aero.
    I don't mind doing a little mechanic work, in fact, I look forward to it.

That being said, a 2010 or 2011 would be nice. However, I am more concerned with my personal favorite looks... It's kind of hard to find custom seats that match Saab styles (I love the 2007-2008 2.3T Sports package seats). Headlights, bumper/body corners/fender lines/hood styles are also higher on my list. There are a few body styles I like better than others.

The 2005 Aero Sport, or an '06-09' 2.3T Sport are the body styles I like the most, with interior of the '06-'09 being my favorite.

As far as I understand, there isn't an "Aero" option past 2005. Instead it's called a 2.3T Sport package, with the same engine but the new year changes to the body.

Thanks for the comments!
    Last edited by pkbeatty; 29 September 2014 at 09:23.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by pkbeatty View Post
    As far as I understand, there isn't an "Aero" option past 2005. Instead it's called a 2.3T Sport package, with the same engine but the new year changes to the body.
    The Aero was called the Sport Package for 2006 only. Aero was back for 2007 and mainly included the sport seats, alu dash trim en lowered sport suspension. But besides that, the base version was pretty much the same including the 260 hp 2.3T engine. MY08 and 09 even had the sport seats so even less difference compared to the Aero.

http://saabworld.net/f9/changes-saab...rth-america-1/

The main disadvantage with the V6 is having to replace the timing belt every 60K miles which can be expensive. Fuel economy isn't as good as the 2.3 I4. With regular maintenance, the 2.3T should last a very long time.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE

2006 2.3T

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    The Aero was called the Sport Package for 2006 only. Aero was back for 2007 and mainly included the sport seats, alu dash trim en lowered sport suspension. But besides that, the base version was pretty much the same including the 260 hp 2.3T engine. MY08 and 09 even had the sport seats so even less difference compared to the Aero.

http://saabworld.net/f9/changes-saab...rth-america-1/

The main disadvantage with the V6 is having to replace the timing belt every 60K miles which can be expensive. Fuel economy isn't as good as the 2.3 I4. With regular maintenance, the 2.3T should last a very long time.
    Thanks for the clarification, I previously read your link somewhere else, but I guess I caught the part that it changed in '06, and missed where it said that the Aero returned.

I've been doing a lot of reading the past few days, since my only real experience or tiny bit of knowledge is with the 2001 9-5 SE. At least that made me aware of the frequent timing belt change, but only with that model.

Thanks guys! Very helpful! I am SUPER excited to having an '07 or '08 sitting in my garage soon! I will try to post pics, but my previous attempt at that failed miserably.