Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1997 900SE, 2003 9-5 Linear

9-5 Oil Leak and Smells!

2003 9-5 Linear, OK - dropped the pan and checked for gunk, clean and replaced - and had an oil leak. Thought perhaps I gummed up the gasket sealer refitting the pan. So I pulled the pan a second time - re-cleaned things, more sealant, careful refitting - still have a small leak. Leaks just enough to allow a drip to hit the catalytic converter, burn and smell. I did notice that some of the holes for the pan bolts go clear through into the block cavity - do these require anything special to seal? I can wipe things clean and it won't smell for a week or so, but things are wet. Doesn't appear to be leaking from above - and I replaced the oil pressure sensor as this was pointed out as a possibility. Car has 160K+, still runs good.
    Any ideas where the problem lies??

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Assuming there was no leaks prior to the "gunk check", would I think the leak is between the pan and engine. Three steps from the WIS, regarding fitting the sump (pan):

- "Ensure the oil sump contains no dirt or contaminants. Clean the sealing surfaces on the engine and sump with a gasket scraper and benzene."

- "Apply an even, 2 mm thick bead of flange sealant, part no. 93 21 795, to the sealing surfaces of the oil sump."

- "Tightening torque 22 Nm (16 lbf ft)."

Nothing about special attention to the holes for the pan bolts.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    What kind of sealant are you using? Only anerobic sealant should be used.

And make sure to cover the inside of the bolt holes but that's probably obvious.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Used Permatex #51813, anerobic sealant. I put circle around all the bolt holes - used a bit heavier bead second time around. Of course you can't get a torque wrench on a couple of the bolts - but can get a wrench on them & feel they are snugged about right. Thanks.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    It may be leaking form a different spot.
    Both of my cars are leaking now. I didn't touch the one. I rebuilt the other...
    I will look closer when I have time. Spring... Maybe.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Wow - it's been 18 months since I started this post! I am still living with the problem because I don't drive the car much - still only 166k miles. Finally bought UV dye and a light, jacked car up and let it run. After about 20 minutes it was clear where the leak was - looks like the rear seal, not easy to repair. At about the time of the pan drop, I also did PCV mod, new sub-frame bushes, new front seal. I checked the PCV valve, valve cover to throttle body - valve not working as it was allowing air back the wrong way! Installed a new valve yesterday, keeping my fingers crossed as now I have to drive to work!

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I still have a oil leak too. I swapped the oil pressure thing yesterday and washed the engine. It needs it again.... Hopefully I have it.
    Any luck trwilson70?
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Leak has decreased, but I'm just living with the problem. I notice if I drive carefully, don't get into the boost much, it doesn't leak. I am hoping the the seal will re-shape after a bit and seal better - wishful thinking.