Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    Maybe a 9-3

Potential 9-3 Owner Looking for Buying Advice!

Hi everyone,

My name is Chris. I'm currently car shopping, but I'm kind of on a budget. I own an older Audi A6 currently (1999) that was passed down to me once my grandfather passed. I've done my best to keep up with all maintenance, but the car is just getting too expensive. At almost 170k miles I think she's on her last legs. I've been doing some searching for awhile now because my budget would have to be a maximum of only $12k to buy a car, if I didn't lease one. In my searching I kept coming across relatively low mileage Saabs for pretty affordable prices. I'm pretty fresh out of college, so the less I can spend the better. I was hoping to paste the link to the one that I'm looking at to get some advice. I've read through the buyer's guide here - http://saabworld.net/f8/saab-9-3-buyers-guide-24606/ and the reliability info from TrueDelta here - http://saabworld.net/f8/saab-9-3-rel...67/index2.html I'm looking at 07 / 08 models mostly. Are these generally reliable vehicles? I understand Saab Parts is still in business, but are parts hard to find? Are there any specific repairs or maintenance that are troublesome with these after 70k miles?

Here's the vehicle in question -

2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T, $8,990 - Cars.com

Thanks for all your help in advance!
    Last edited by Dr3amCast; 03 October 2014 at 14:57.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 SS 2.0T ARC
    Well first off since this is an 07/08 have the valves been changed? The 07/08's have been widely known to have a defect from the factory for those years, but it will only show up later around the 70-100K mileage. The car will start poorly on a cold start and a list of other symptoms will start to show as the car gets older. The only fix is to have all of the valves replaced. If the car was under warranty still this would be done for free at a dealership, but if it isn't and the valves are still the original then you are left with a problematic car and a large repair bill.
    2004 SAAB 9-3 ARC 2.0T 5Spd A/T 153XXXKM

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 SS 2.0T ARC
    As for parts, since you are in the States, there are a handful of online stores that sell OEM SAAB parts with good shipping rates, and possibly some local places as well. If you are really on a budget, and aren't a big DIY-er or car savvy and rely on a mechanic for maintenance then I wouldn't buy a SAAB. These cars are generally reliable, but a few things breaking here and there and you can find yourself with a huge repair bill if taken to a shop instead of doing it yourself.
    2004 SAAB 9-3 ARC 2.0T 5Spd A/T 153XXXKM