Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMediocre View Post
    I will have to check on that. I am seeing a LOT of oil pooled up on top of the intake manifold, what could that be?
    That would suggest the valve cover gasket.(Easy fix!) Also it could be from a loose connection from the charge hose going to the throttle body. Also could be from a broken PVC hose.
    On my 04 Aero I have a oily spot around the throttle body. (This means that the turbo is leaking oil. Mine is done and I suspect it. 209000km... It's time to replace it.) But it could also be the PVC system putting oil into the cobra pipe going to the turbo.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Valve cover gasket is already done, as well as the pcv hoses. I've just started reading about issues with the turbo.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc; 2002 9-5 Aero
    I've been battling some oil leaks as well on my '04 Arc. First oil leak was the chain tensioner. I replaced all the bits as described above but didn't enlarge the hole. Second, was the oil pressure sensor, which was a major leak stopped. But I still had a leak, that was leaving oil residue on the bottom of the intake manifold, which would then drip down on the garage floor. And it seemed to always be oily around the oil dipstick cap. So, third round I replaced the oil ring on the top part of the dipstick (that funnel part that the cap locks onto; it slides inside the dipstick tube). The o-ring was so worn and hard there was no resistance when sliding the top into the tube. I also replaced the gasket on the oil filler cap. After all that, I have just about nailed the oil leaks. I'm down to a spot about the size of a half dollar perhaps every other day. I haven't tracked down where it is coming from yet as I need to get under the car and clean up the old residue. Hope this helps with your leaks.

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Have not thought of the dipstick area yet, it is kinda hard to see down the intake side of the engine.

I am pretty certain though that the valve cover gasket that I just replaced is what is leaking onto the top of the intake, there is uv dye in it and I can clearly see where it is coming from.

This does not please me. The gasket that I got did not fit into the groove on the cover very well at all, maybe I should have bought a different gasket? I got this one from eeuroparts.

SAAB Valve Cover Gasket - Elring 892930 - Free Shipping

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc; 2002 9-5 Aero
    That is the exact same valve cover gasket I used for my top end rebuild last year. It fit my engine perfect and does not leak. I buy most all my parts from eEuroparts and FCPEuro. Both have great customer service and quality products.

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    It is a very real possibility that I screwed something up when installing the gasket. I did I it all by the book, proper torque, tightening the bolts in the correct order, copious amounts of foul language.

I would sooner this be the problem than a head gasket though.

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    So I just spoke to my mechanic again. They looked everything over and he is quite frustrated that they cannot pinpoint an exact location for the leak, he believes it to be the head gasket. They took things apart and were checking with mirrors and this is the only conclusion he could come to. Now if he is right, he's right. But I don't want to have my head gasket done on a hunch. I do trust this guy, this is the only good shop in the area, they work on Porsche, Jags, Audi, BMW, and he has at least 3 other Saabs in right now too.

So I'm not sure how to proceed exactly. I definately do not want to get rid of the car, I like it too much. I don't have the money for a head gasket job yet, I'd have to save up for a while.

I knew I would likely have to do something like this eventually, as I have driven the car 60,000 miles in less than 2 years, but I was hoping it would be more around the 200,000 mile mark, I am at 140,000 now.

So best I can think to do for now is keep an eye on the oil levels while I save up the money to have the head gasket done and machined etc.

What would you guys do?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Perhaps take the valve cover off again and see if the gasket isn't damaged when you installed it? But leaks from the valve cover should be easy to spot.

There was an issue with loose head bolts on older models but perhaps not a bad thing to check on yours:
    http://saabworld.net/f29/retightenin...m98-m01-27258/

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    The valve cover is easy enough to look at, when the weather gets above freezing.

The thought of re-torquing the head bolts, or even replacing them had crossed my mind. Of course if the gasket is indeed bad, none of that will matter anyway.

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    I've resolved to go ahead and replace/re-tourque the head bolts, and in the process do the valve cover gasket again. I figured the cost involved in doing that myself was low enough that I might as well give it a shot, even if it helps a little bit its worth it.

I'm not leaking coolant or getting oil in the coolant so I should have some time to save up to have the head done.