Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1970 96

Saab 9-5 Mushy Brake Pedal

Howdy Folks, I am trying to assist my good buddy Tom. He has been given his brothers 2000 Saab 9-5, (Boy I love the way that car drives!). Currently the service brake is very mushy, will pump up but just not right, should be a good hard pedal, not a lot of travel, but long travel and mushy. A couple of years ago I installed Ate Power Slot rotors on front and back, new pads, rebuilt front calipers( new rubber kits), was concerned about the failure of the plating on one front caliper piston ( Passenger side,...but just cleaned it up and put it back together due to time and budget issues) and the brake pedal was as hard as a rock. Then the car sat for a long time due to bad turbo. Turbo replaced and very odd service brake operation, first brake caliper on front drivers side does not seem to release.
    Current action taken, replaced brake master cylinder, bled the heck out of the brakes. Removed caliper slider pins and lubed and verified proper operation. Bled the brakes, raised the rear and bled the brakes.
    Question: Does this model SAAB use the diagonal brake-ing system. One circuit front right and left rear, other circuit front left and right rear? I believe it does. I am an old two stroke initiated person, I recall this and the brake pressure regulators, two one for each circuit under the back seat....... Oh the two strokes.... I remember pumping grease into the distributor gear drive compartment and watching the grease come out the over flow. If I had though about it I would have told my dad we should put a remote input to complement the remote output and make the job easier. But then Pop would not have gotten me to get dirty pumping the grease in.. I like remembering 'helping' Pop with that task. Heavens I am off task.....
    Current Plan: My current plan is to remove the master cylinder and bench bleed it again and reinstall the master cylinder.
    Note: the original master cylinder was replaced due to the same symptoms that this master cylinder displayed.
    Question: Does this model SAAB use a vacuum pump to augment the manifold vacuum and assist the brake booster (power brake servo)? I do believe that there is a vacuum pump for the central locking system, or is that a German car feature. I do not know if the central locking system uses a vacuum 'drive' in the SAAB 9-5.
    Please Help: any other input, experience with similar models exhibiting similar issues, or data from the Workshop manual would be helpful.

Thanks to all and I am quite new at using forums Respectfully, Greg S aka GreghasaV4.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by GreghasaV4 View Post
    Question: Does this model SAAB use the diagonal brake-ing system. One circuit front right and left rear, other circuit front left and right rear?
    Yes, that's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by GreghasaV4 View Post
    Question: Does this model SAAB use a vacuum pump to augment the manifold vacuum and assist the brake booster (power brake servo)?
    Cars with an automatic transmission have a vacuum pump for the brake system. That was actually just discussed in another thread: http://saabworld.net/f9/oil-leaks-pl...866/#post62807

I can post some more information about the brake system from the WIS. I'll see what's available.

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post

Cars with an automatic transmission have a vacuum pump for the brake system. That was actually just discussed in another thread: http://saabworld.net/f9/oil-leaks-pl...866/#post62807
    Our new found knowledge of the Monkey Fudger proved useful!