Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2005 9.5 wagon

Tailgate won't open

My neighbor borrowed my 2004 9.5 wagon and somehow jammed the tailgate lock in the closed position so that the tailgate wouldn't close. I removed the locking mechanism from the body and managed to un-jam it. I re-installed it with the latch in the open position and then successfully closed the tailgate. Now, however, the tailgate won't open. I've tried all available means- the key fob, the button in the driver's door- and I can hear the switch making it's normal sounds, but it remains in the locked position and the tailgate won't open.
    I also pried open the small cover next to the tail light on the exterior, but when I pulled the release tag the wire broke- I swear I didn't pull the release over-aggressively, it broke quite easily!
    I've tried getting to the switch from the inside, but the plastic handle-cup in the underside of the tailgate restricts removal of the interior tailgate panel.
    I'm out of ideas and would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
    Thank you! DG

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    I do believe your 9-5 is equippet with the tailgate lock cylinder, and if yet not tried, it at least can't hurt, although I don't believe it supplies more power than the door button. Push the tailgate simultaneously, if the lock mechanism is crushed in some way.

Name:  4. november 2014 (2).jpg
Views: 1903
Size:  21.2 KB

It's 8 years since we owned a 9-5 wagon, but if you mean plastic handle-cup is the opening handle, and accessible, it is fixed with two retaining screws.

Saab(s)
    2005 9.5 wagon
    Thanks for this, but my '04 9.5 doesn't have a tailgate lock cylinder under the small exterior cover next to the tail light. Instead, it had a thin, plastic line with a pull-tag attached which broke when I gently pulled on it.
    Yes, I was referring to the plastic handle-cup which is fixed with two retaining screws, but since the tailgate is stuck in the closed position the screws are inaccessible.
    Perhaps I can get to the locking switch from the outside by somehow removing the tailgate's exterior body parts???

Saab(s)
    Sorry for that, the WIS is a little inconsistent as the lock cylinder is covered in the tailgate section, however is there a statement in the emergency opening section that this applies to cars without the lock cylinder .

I don't think the tailgate lock is accessible by removing any exterior body parts.

I'm wondering if it possible to "halfway" remove the door trim from the top, so to get hold on what's left of the release wire? If so, could a part of the WIS removal procedure be referred to.

I have seen, quite sometime ago, an emergency opening procedure pertaining to either trunk lid or the tailgate, which released the mechanism with use of a screwdriver. Most likely does it not apply for your model/MY, however do I keep looking for it, as it may rise an idea for a "crisis emergency" unlocking

Saab(s)
    (Partial) removal of the trim, closed tailgate, is not possible as it has to be lowered.

The other emergency opening procedure referred to applies for MY06-, and is not an "idea" for this case.

Is unlocking/opening tried by pushing the tailgate from inside/outside when simultaneously electrical activiating the motor? So to ease any jam of the lock.

I assume there are no signs of the broken emergency wire when looking into the left hatch used for tailgate bulb replacement, or access to the swivel engaging the tailgate lock, by prise out the opening handle frame using a screwdriver inserted in the three recesses.

A rough, and last, means to get access to the swivel, as used by the motor and emergency wire, is to cut the trim in the area where it is located.

Name:  Emergency openeing of the 9-5 tailgate.jpg
Views: 1796
Size:  34.8 KB