Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Frame rust!

Frame surface rust. It's there any thing I should do to stop the rusting? I purchased my Saab second hand and I believe it's was in a northern state that uses salt on their roads. Just want to ensure that it doesn't continue to rust. This is close to where the ac water run off is located and stays wet.

Picture of frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Wow, I haven't seen any other complaints over the years about rust on this series (2003/2010), 9-3's. Would you share a bit on where the rust is and I assume that this is on your 2010? Did the car have any signs of body work back there where they may have used scrap yard parts. I wonder what that "U" clamp is supporting and if it's a critical component that will be a "code red" if it fails in motion?

Back in the 1960's (just as an anecdote), they had hit or miss problems on the Porsche's rusting. This went on till someone on a factory tour spotted them rolling cars without paint from one building to another in the rain so if your car was made on a sunny day .. We got rid of my wife's Wolfsburg Rabbit after one year when I saw the rust bleeding through the metallic blue pant on the hatch.

Oh, and what state were you alluding to?
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

The frame is directly under the engine and is painted black. I believe it was in Iowa in a past life. The rest of the car is immaculate and rust free. The rust was surface rust and I used a brass brush to knock off the rust and old paint then I used 3m rust immobilizer/paint prep then spray painted the rust areas with high strength black paint. I feel this should stop the progression of further rusting and looks great now. I will track pictures the next time I have it up to change the oil. Plus that will give it enough time to see if any rust shows up. Fingers crossed. I appreciate you responding.